Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've read the threads on nasicock, I've read the threads on Subaruunlimited or whatever it's called. I've read damn near everything on the first and second page of google's results for "subaru transmission cooler" and many variations.

I'm looking for the sandwich plate adapter that goes to the 4EAT, OR where\how I can tap the lines that the stock\factory cooler uses.

I have no idea where those oem lines are but I would imagine it being as simple as removing the plugs and bolting in my lines? Keep in mind my 4eat DID NOT come with an oil cooler from that factory, so would there still be a place to hook lines up to?:confused:

I'm taking a trip to one of Summit's stores this weekend and my shopping list needs to include a transmission cooler setup, I'd like some help with what I need if possible. I have a 4 row tranny cooler (4 lines going through multiple fins, not the most efficient but easy on the wallet) so how can I get fluid to it?

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ Second time I've heard that :). I read that on a nasicok thread and wanted to be sure before I spend 80$ on something then can't return it if it's the wrong thing. I have no idea on how to check the threads, though I suppose I could have pulled my trans filter and tried to put an oil filter on there *shrug*

·
Registered
opendeck251+stiInternals
483 Posts
I find it hard to believe that your car doesn't have a tranny cooler. If you look at the driver's side of the radiator, you will see the big hose for the coolant, but above that will be two smaller (~1/2'' diameter) hoses. Those are the input and output of the cooler. All it is, is just a pipe that runs into the rad, and back out again.

~Josh~

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll double check but I'm 85% certain it does not have a tranny cooler.
My manual said nothing about adding extra fluid due to there being a cooler and I didn't see any other lines to\from the radiator when I changed my thermostat.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I find it hard to believe that your car doesn't have a tranny cooler. If you look at the driver's side of the radiator, you will see the big hose for the coolant, but above that will be two smaller (~1/2'' diameter) hoses. Those are the input and output of the cooler. All it is, is just a pipe that runs into the rad, and back out again.

~Josh~
That's a big negative ghost rider. I have two hoses to my radiator and that's it. I have no tubes/hoses from my transmission, looks like I'll be hitting summit and asking them.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will quite literally triple check tomorrow morning but unless they're hidden crazy well I do not have a built in tyranny cooler..

*edit* thank you Joshua for posting a pic!

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guess who found the tranny cooler!
Those lines were TUCKED, cralwed under and pulled back a plastic shroud and found them. Well that makes things much simpler and now I feel kind of dumb =(. :bonk::facepalm:

Ohwell, at least I didn't buy a sandwich plate that I didn't need, thank you all for being persistent and critical of me!
Time to go to Summit I need
1. Longer trans cooler lines
2. In line thermostat for the cooler if they even make such a thing.
3. Temperature pod with sending unit.

That should do it for this trip, gotta order 409 stainless from the Internets, flanges, gaskets, and stainless flux core wire for the welder.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BUMP

I need a transmission drain plug that has an 1\8th npt hole in the center.
I have a 'mid hose' adapter for an npt temp sensor but the temp sensor is too long to physically fit the hole.

Any idea where I can get a drain plug that has a hole for a 1\8th npt sensor?

Yes I've searched, been searching google and here and haven't found shit :(

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright I found that Glow shift direct sells different thread size npt plug\bolt things.
What size is my transmission drain plug? I looked on genuinsubaruparts and I can't find "transmission" tab on the OEM parts list.

IIRC the STI is p1.5 or something like that, would mien be the same size?

·
Registered
05 Baja,95 Impreza L,04&02 wrx
69 Posts
Just put the sensor in the "T' for your cooler line. you can space it with a short piece of pipe. Nice and easy.
Or you could drill/tap your factory drain plug if you have to put your sensor in the pan.

Also for future reference Basically all automatic transmissions have factory coolers, without them the trans would cook itself in very short order.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just put the sensor in the "T' for your cooler line. you can space it with a short piece of pipe. Nice and easy.
Or you could drill/tap your factory drain plug if you have to put your sensor in the pan.

Also for future reference Basically all automatic transmissions have factory coolers, without them the trans would cook itself in very short order.
I bought an in-line adapter that has an NPT fitting so that I can monitor temps FROM the transmission TO the cooler, the problem is that the threads don't reach far enough and the base of the thermostat bottoms out before it can be tightened. All that and it blocks most of the fluid passage way, so I would need to cut the thermostat in 'half' so that it doesn't take up so much damned room!

This is the reason I am trying to go with a drain plug adapter.
I have to call Glow-Shift and ask them how much I can cut off of their NPT thermostat's before I risk ruining it, if I can cut it down 1\4an inch I don't need the drain plug adapter.

Oh and to answer your question, it is m20x1.5. trans plug is same as the engine oil drain plug.
THANK YOU! <3

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.