Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Impreza Outback Sport Green
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a '91 Lecacy 2.2l turbo car for $100 it's an automatic. It needs a new turbo as it wines likes it's going out. Has around 150k on the odo. I own a '93 Impreza 1.8l 5sp with 180k. Do you think the Engine from the auto legacy will work with my manual Impreza transmission? I didn't know if the turbo engine needed to be mated to an auto tranny becuase it came out of a car with one.

I plan on putting some work into the 2.2 turbo engine before the swap and want to use a TDO4 wrx turbo with this engine. I've sourced an older TMIC from a twin turbo legacy that i plan on using with this 2.2l turbo engine.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
2,827 Posts
the block will bolt right up to the tranny.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
I have this EJ22T swap in my '99 Impreza L. The tranny is a 2.5RS mated onto a the EJ22T. Had to get the harness merged by GT (awesome job BTW), and then pluged it up.

My setup has the TD04, headerback exhaust, FCD, and boosting 14-16lbs w/ MBC. Good power.... 170ish WHP, 244ft lbs.

·
Registered
98 Impreza Outback Sport Green
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What does FCD stand for. When you had the harness out you sent it to GT and asked him to splice it for your car then? How much does that typically run? I may just have him do mine.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
If you got a '91 Legacy turbo, look at the rear diff cover as these usually come with a VLSD rear Diff & say so clearly on the diff cover.
That diff alone is easily worth over 2x what you paid for the entire car, nice deal!
Auto's & 5Spds both have 3.9 final drives.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
FCD = Fuel cut defender, without one the fuel will be cut @ around 13'ish psi & hitting the cut a few times will have you needing a new motor/rebuild.

The engine will accect your flywheel..., making the mech. portion bolt in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts