Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'97 Red OBS
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult is doing a tranny & diff swap in a GC/GF for someone's first time? I'm comfortable with doing a drum-disc rear brake conversion and simple repairs such as starters & alternators, so I'm considering doing the labor for my LSD (that I already have) and the transmission I am going to purchase soon. I'm definitely going to have at least one other person to help.

The plan is to buy a 4.11 FD tranny instead of swapping the 3.90 ring/pinion gear from my car. I am planning on doing an engine swap, (hopefully in the early spring) so I don't see the point in using my car's old ring/pinion just to change it in 6 months. Also, my car needs a clutch soon, so my plan is to swap the tranny now instead of just buying a clutch for the current 3.90 box.

For the most part, I'm planning on buying an RS gearbox, but what should I look for in case I happen to buy a turbo style transmission?

Thanks for the assistance!!

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Its not terribly difficult, however it does require alot or work. If you plan to swap later on why not just do everything all at once.

As far as which trannies are better the '04-'05 WRX seemed to get the thicker gears where as the RS and early model WRX seemed to have the same gears, although they had a bit longer 5th gear if I am remebering correctly.

·
Registered
'97 Red OBS
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not terribly difficult, however it does require alot or work. If you plan to swap later on why not just do everything all at once.

As far as which trannies are better the '04-'05 WRX seemed to get the thicker gears where as the RS and early model WRX seemed to have the same gears, although they had a bit longer 5th gear if I am remebering correctly.
It would make sense to do everything at once, but I need to replace my clutch in the very near future, plus I want to install my 4.11 LSD now without having to swap the ring/pinion gears to fit my 3.90 diff just to change it back when I go turbo. I kinda don't trust the clutch to last until I get the engine/tranny swap done, but I don't want to install a clutch just to remove it again in 6 months if that makes any sense.

·
Premium Member
2005 STI , 1998 Outback Sport
206 Posts
Well If you put the clutch in now, Your going to have to take it off to reuse it on your swaped motor. Why do you want to change the trans now? Just replace your clutch and leave the old tranny in it for now. When you go do the swap change everything then. Theres no sense going through all that work now to redo it later. Changing the clutch is really not that bad, I put one in my wagon, and ended up getting a defective clutch. Had to redo it the next day.

·
Registered
94 wagon hybrid 1.8/2.2t
253 Posts
it not bad, me and a buddy put a wrx tranny diff driveline and all 4 axles along with the wrx shift linkage in my car in a total of 6 hours including a trip to the bolt shop and to his house for an air hammer. granted we had air tools and an electric impact wrench but no tranny jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts