Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 WRX EJ20G with a 5-speed. Have the trans 1/2 inch from fully seating but cant get it the last of the way. Anyone willing to help that has transmission experience. Cant find a mobile mechanic that will help. In Plant City Florida.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,065 Posts
I am on the opposite end of the country, but I have installed many a transmission and engine in a subaru.

-Make sure the turbo is not hitting the trans bellhousing. Might be easier to just remove it.
-Make sure you don't have dowel pins in both the engine and transmission bellhousings, trying to occupy the same space. I think the transmission side ones are easier to tap out. Grease the existing ones.
-Make sure the trans is jacked up an inch or 2 or 3 above the crossmember. This makes a gigantic difference. Otherwise you are fighting the engine studs dragging on the crossmember. I usually leave one or two 2x4 blocks of wood between the crossmember and trans to support it till the engine is flush
-Make sure the engine and trans angles are the same (I use a harbor freight load leveler, such as this: 2 Ton Capacity Load Leveler to make the engine the same angle)
-Make sure the transmission splines are greased up
-Make sure to have a ratchet or breaker bar on the crank bolt so you can move the crank back and forth a tiny bit to align with the transmission splines
-Better yet, have a friend on the front of the engine, both pushing the engine and rotating the crank a tiny bit.

You can totally install an engine yourself, but a second set of hands makes it significantly easier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, had a buddy helping me. My issue is I couldnt getting the engine and trans at a similar angle to get the input shaft into the pilot bearing I think. The engine is still in, I pulled the trans out when I did my clutch swap.

·
Registered
07OBS
76 Posts
If
Thanks, had a buddy helping me. My issue is I couldnt getting the engine and trans at a similar angle to get the input shaft into the pilot bearing I think. The engine is still in, I pulled the trans out when I did my clutch swap.
you haven't got it in yet jack the front of the motor a bit to angle it down so the trans will slide in easier.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,899 Posts
If you are at the pins and you dont pins in each side then I would take some sand paper or better yet emery cloth and hit both the pin and receiving hole. Sometimes the pins really dont want to go in the hole. I have had to bolt an engine or two together. I really hate doing that but sometimes they just fight me so hard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts