Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Trans and Gear Oil Reviews!!!

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Panda205 
#1 ·
Hey, I have been searching for what may be the best products to use for a trans and gear oil change. The past couple days of searching, its pretty difficult to tell what is best for what. Judging by vendor websites that have zero reviews for there products doesn't really help much either, so I am turning to the community! I hear a lot about Uncle Scotty's Cocktail, Redline Shockproof, Valvoline, Motul, Castrol, some Pennzoil, and some Mobil1.

personally I was looking at this the most, the cocktail. But I am very hesitant if this is really what i need for the type of driving i do and my climate.
http://www.grimmspeed.com/1-transmission-cocktail-mix/(really curious on the cocktail reviews)

post what you guys have experienced some best recommendations!

#2 ·
people make it out to be way more complicated than it actually is

the cars shift well when new, and they don't use anything special or unique fwiw

the cocktails can sometimes help free up a synchro that is binding up a bit, but it's not going to eliminate a mechanical problem, so keep that in mind

reviews of fluids will always be relative, with way too many variables to consider...and the older a car gets, the more subjective the review can only be

#5 ·
I'm using Motul Motylgear 75w90. It's a synthetic blend. I would normally just go with the Subaru Synthetic, but no way to get it here in Germany, without taking it to the dealer and that's just asking for anal raping.

Cocktails? No thanks. I think people just use it to mask a failing tranny more than anything else, instead of fixing it. There's also no scientific data, testing, etc to prove it's any worse/better than straight up gear oil. I'd just stick with pure gear oil, than some weird concoction.

#6 ·
Not sure what the hell is in my RS right now ... I sure did't change it since I bought it. It's clean and it's oil ... as mentioned, I don't really care to drain it and put in weird concoctions.

I ran Coastal 80w-90 (pretty much the cheapest AutoZone gear oil you can get) in my previous L and it shifted like butter ... no issues in any kind of driving conditions I could throw at it.

#7 ·
Yeah i had forgotten to mention the Extra-s, the stock oil. iv heard overall good things about that oil.

I felt the same way about the cocktail, hence why i was very hesitant on making my decision to buy that package..

so whats the deal with the Redline shockproof??? i hear Great things about it, then some bad.

#8 ·
Redline shockproof

Redline EU/UK site
"A unique gear oil designed to lubricate racing transmissions and transaxles which see serious loads (not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions). It has excellent low-temperature flow which allows easier shifting when cold. May be used to obtain maximum power transfer in racing differentials which do not see high temperatures. Similar to a 75W140 gear oil, but with the lower internal friction of an SAE 30 motor oil."
Redline US site
"A unique lubricant containing a suspension of solid microscopic particles as an extreme pressure agent--unique solid dispersion which cushions gear teeth to help prevent tooth breakage and allows the use of lower viscosities. Recommended for heavily-loaded racing differentials and transmissions, Off Road racing and problem gearboxes. The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throwoff and provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90."

Is it good or bad? I don't know. Some people run it without a problem, others run into problems. Running the lightweight is well...really lightweight. It's like slapping engine oil into your tranny. So it's possible leaks that normal thicker gear oil couldn't get past, the lightweight could.

Subaru says put X weight in, I put in X weight. Why? They designed/made the car and they probably spec'd everything out to give the longest lasting, maintenance free operation of the vehicle.

#9 · (Edited)
I think the cocktail is snake oil myself (just IMO) I had a slow 4th on my type-R trans and it went away after I changed the oil. No additives. I just get a 5 gal can of Extra-S and tap into it when I need it. I'll lend some of it to friends in need to help offset the cost as well ;)

#10 ·
After doing a lot of research awhile back on this and after reading many reviews on different gear oil with Subarus I came to the conclusion that Subaru Extra S and Motul seem to be the two best options. I haven't seen any bad experiences with either of them.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Yeah iv owned my OBS for about 4 months now. havnt driven it very far yet. maybe put about 2k miles on it since i bought it. and it was owned by one lady its entire life and she had just brought it to places to get serviced. but she took good care of it. I can slip it into 1st descending from 20mph without and grinds or kick back. when its cold, second gear gets a small grind while letting off the clutch, but that goes away quickly after it warms up. I am about to drive 15 hours each way from VA to IL next week, so im trying to make sure all required maintenance is done well first!

I dont think id need the cocktail for my OBS right now. Nor do i need to spend a bunch more on Motul for a stock N/A OBS haha. I ran Motul in my old 05 wrx. but thats a whole different story lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.