Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
98, Subie, Impreza 2.5RS, Blac
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 98 RS is a getting a WRX swap as we speak. I vouched to use the original tranny seeing I did not have the extra cash for a WRX one. My plan was to get a light-weight flywheel while they have it all out, but I wasn't sure how much longer my tranny will last so I didn't know if it would be worth getting a nice fly-wheel. It has about 120K on it. From the other threads I've read it seems the RS tranny is strong enough as long as I take care of it. So before I bought the fly-wheel I thought I would get some more opinions.

Thanks!

· Eternally Premium
678 Posts
I installed my STi motor with 114K on my RS trans, im almost at 130K now. I have not had any problems, and i know many others on this forum have teh same set up with out issues, regular care is key, take care of it as it should be, new fluid and drive your car with respect. It will last a long time

· Registered
05 legacy sdn, 00 rs sdn
859 Posts
I installed my STi motor with 114K on my RS trans, im almost at 130K now. I have not had any problems, and i know many others on this forum have teh same set up with out issues, regular care is key, take care of it as it should be, new fluid and drive your car with respect. It will last a long time
how much work do you have done to your swap? wondering because i have a 2.0 swap and just bought a vf39 for it... so hoping for close to 300 whp when all is said and done.. and i have a 00 rs drive line i'm putting intoo... just wondering how well its going to hold up

· Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
3,814 Posts
RS and WRX tranny are fine for 300whp as long as you take it easy....dont launch hard, dont flat foot shift, be gentle on it....

theres no point in getting a wrx tranny as they are no stronger than the RS tranny.....

if you want to beat on the tranny on a budget your best bet is the mfactory gears.....but you could also do PPG or sti 6speed..but those cost muchos money....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.