Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so im looking to buy this rs swap and the guy said that the transmission sensor is bad. he said the speedo shuts off and the tranny goes in safe mode or some shit.. does this make sense. he said it only costs like $80 to fix it. its a 97 or 98 jdm sti trans.. how hard would it be to get this part being that its a jdm... oh and he said if you reset the computer it will fix it for a couple minutes..need help and input its deeply appreciated

· Registered
98' rs burnt orange
72 Posts
My speed sensor went out on my 98rs. The speedo jumped around for 10 miles then poop. Some local subie shops told me it wasnt uncommon. I found a couple at used subie lots. My quotes were $30 for one that will work for sure and $20 from a kinda shady place that probably wont work.
My car never went into a safe mode, although im running the speed sensor thru a wrx ecu. Im pretty sure there isnt some magical gizmo in the jdm sti 98 tranny and not in the 98 usdm rs tranny, just better gears and the 4th and 5th gear ratio is a little closer on the jdm i think.

If the speed sensor is the problem its real easy. Just unbolt the intercooler(for the swapped with tmic) and its right on the top of the passenger side of the tranny. Unbolt it I think its a 19mm but not sure and lube up the new one and screw it in.

· Registered
98' rs burnt orange
72 Posts
Just make sure something more serious isnt making it go into limp mode. Like super high knock count I think can do it. It almost sounds like the seller did the swap himself and didnt do something right and is blaming the speed sensor. I know how fuckin hard the wrx into rs swap can be. I did mine last winter.

But if it seems good or is an easy fix then go for it.

Look a good reputable performance shop around. They will charge you maybe 100 buck to go thru the car for you. They usually spot things immediatly. Can be worth the money real fast!! A junky swapped rs can turn into a money pit fast. But if they run right there awesome.

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
so im looking to buy this rs swap and the guy said that the transmission sensor is bad. he said the speedo shuts off and the tranny goes in safe mode or some shit.. does this make sense. he said it only costs like $80 to fix it. its a 97 or 98 jdm sti trans.. how hard would it be to get this part being that its a jdm... oh and he said if you reset the computer it will fix it for a couple minutes..need help and input its deeply appreciated
He might have meant the speedometer stops working and the ecu goes into "limp" mode. But I don't understand why it would matter with a manual, maybe on an automatic. The speed sensor from the transmission does go to the ecu and cluster, that's probably the sensor he was referring to. As long as the internals aren't crapped, go for it. The sensor shouldn't be difficult to replace.

· Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
9,088 Posts
The ECU needs the VSS signal regardless. Idle is effected by vehicle speed to suit sitting still or coasting with the probability of resuming normal operation. There are likely other functions that the ECU wants to see the VSS signal for, but if the speedo drops out, the ECU will jump into limp mode.

Definately check that first. If you put the car on stands and unplug it, a multi meter on the terminals should read 0v...+5v....0v....+5V....etc.... as the wheels turn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.