Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I'm in the market for a 2014 WRX sedan and currently drive a 2000 GC coupe. I posted this on NASIOC but haven't received any response so I thought I'd try here as well. I had previously pondered purchasing such a vehicle but had concerns over the now open rear differential and the AWD are now governed by the ABS and throttle. I previously owned a 2004 2.0L WRX which was highly modified and appreciated the simplicity and effectiveness of the operation of the AWD system in that car.
Has anyone performed, or is it even possible, to swap transmission components into a GR chassis, besides an STi 6 speed, that will make the GR AWD behave more like the GD or GC AWD system?
The reason I ask is because I happen to have a GC V5/V6 WRX Type RA 5 speed tranny (4.44 FD) and a 4.44 SureTrac rear diff lying around my garage. I was wondering if that tranny and rear diff were compatible w/ the GR vehicle. The transmission code of the RA tranny is TY754VB1BA. Any info or links that can give me some comprehension of whether or not this is possible is appreciated.

Is a MY99-MY00 R160 rear diff housing the same size and dimensions as a 2014 WRX R160 rear diff, meaning could I just remove the Suretrac diff from the older housing and replace the pinion gear w/ the appropriate GR R160 pinion gear for the correct corresponding final drive ratio to make this MLSD function in the GR WRX?
Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,236 Posts
Check with iWire. I believe the hardest part is going to be the electrical. sometime in the late 2000's things went DBW.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,305 Posts
You can swap the driveline components, if all ratios are correct. You may need to defeat the car's ecus attempting to use the brake actuation to control awd. Otherwise, have that program modified to consider the mechanical action of the rear, center, and front diffs. Not sure if the mechanical route will perform better than the newer style though.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read reviews related to Cusco 1.5 MSLD rear diff swaps in GR WRXs that when simply turning off the traction control switch, the newer cars do behave like the older cars. I also want the RA gears of the older tranny. I just haven't been able to find much information about swapping older, low mileage GC driveline parts into a newer GR car with similar mileage.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
239 Posts
Mechanically, it might be easiest to work the other way for research purposes: See whether the GR stuff swaps into a GD. You could still run into clearance issues, but I honestly bet they're the same casing and it's just a question of axles ... and electronics.

On the electronics stuff, there's some other stuff besides the AWD system to think about:
- VSS signal (or is that purely from the ABS sensors on a GR?)
- neutral switch
- reverse switch
Probably not show stoppers, just some thoughts off the top of my head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts