Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a MY01 Rs Ej25 and I am going to replace the transmission. I eventually am going to purchase a STI motor. So what Transmission can I bolt up to my motor, and then use with the STI motor (still being reliable). Cost is of no concern right now because I would rather pay the money to do it right the first time. I cant afford to do both the motor and trans. at the same time either.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would a 6 speed or type ra tranny bolt up with no problems?
and would i have any problems with a jdm tranny to a us motor?

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
mdscoobydoo said:
would a 6 speed or type ra tranny bolt up with no problems?
and would i have any problems with a jdm tranny to a us motor?
yes, they would bolt up. You need to run their piston thingy for the clutch because the one on your RS one is shaped differently and placed in a different spot.

·
Banned
1997, Subaru, Impreza L, 2.2L,
2,363 Posts
hey fuji i just picked myself a tranny from a 00 4 door 2.5RS. would i be able to use my L cable clutch instead? I hate hydrolic and don't want to swap it. Cable FTW!

·
Registered
1998 BMW M3
2,657 Posts
leave it cable. put them side to side and swap the cable parts on the hydro box. take u 15 minutes max.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, they would bolt up. You need to run their piston thingy for the clutch because the one on your RS one is shaped differently and placed in a different spot.
By the piston thingy, do you mean the slave cylinder?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there any one tranny that will do better than another for me, i want the best i can get reliably, but still have alot of fun running the hell out of it.

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
STi 6 Speed is as bulletproof you can get from the factory.

I'm not talking about dog or PPG gears though.

·
Registered
1998 RS #2
5 Posts
Aphex28 said:
STi 6 Speed is as bulletproof you can get from the factory.

I'm not talking about dog or PPG gears though.
Definitely. For the swap, you're gonna need the tranny, flywheel, clutch, slave cylinder, rear diff, axles, hubs, rims (if you go MY05+), shift linkage, lever, knob, harness, DCCD switch and control unit... Anything I'm forgetting?

What's this stuff going for these days? $5k?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2nd25RS said:
Definitely. For the swap, you're gonna need the tranny, flywheel, clutch, slave cylinder, rear diff, axles, hubs, rims (if you go MY05+), shift linkage, lever, knob, harness, DCCD switch and control unit... Anything I'm forgetting?

What's this stuff going for these days? $5k?

And if I dont do a 6-speed, all I need is the tranny, rear, clutch and flywheel right?

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
ummm.. I'm not sure about the axel compatibility with RS style vs. USDM WRX style.

All I know is that my JDM V2 WRX/STi trans uses a 4.11 rear end and RS Style axels so all I had to change was the trans, clutch and flywheel.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
3,178 Posts
I need a new tranny

I have been reading and have contacted a couple venders asking for pricing. But I want to contact more cuz I have heard of people getting them for even chaper then what I was told. So where are people getting theres trannys from these days? Oh I have a 2000 rs

·
Registered
2000 Imp 5 door Sport
6,269 Posts
i would consider just a RS trans that TOAST for about 200 bucks and do PPG gears if money is truly not an issue and if it is with most people just to an RA gear set there more like 1k

·
Premium Member
99 RS, 01 RS, 01 Forester S
1,635 Posts
supermoose said:
leave it cable. put them side to side and swap the cable parts on the hydro box. take u 15 minutes max.
Thanks, you answered a question I had...........and you didnt even know it.

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

·
Registered
91 Legacy 257 w/6MT
868 Posts
sorry for the old bump...but had a question moose. is there any benefit for swapping to hydraulic over cable? figure a slight pressure plate/clutch step like stage one over oem.

·
Registered
05' Silver RS
686 Posts
A hydraulic will most likely be softer to push and it auto adjusts itself. Those are the only things I can think of.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
516 Posts
Cable could snap with stronger pressure plates maybe? I don't really know - just a guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts