Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read somewhere that 02 wrx spring is a direct fit for 98-02 RS, and will allow me to run 02-04 wrx or 04 sti wheel.

Seems they are different enough where I can't make it fit unless I start cutting things.
The clock spring is more square, with a deeper notch, and a 4 wire plug

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,595 Posts
Hmm, my 02/03 WRX steering wheel plugged into my 00 RS clock spring just fine. I vaguely remember having to retain the original cruise control, but I could be thinking about a different car.

From the other thread you posted in, the part number 98261FC003 corresponds to 98-01 Impreza all, and 98-02 Forester all models. $350 brand new is pretty dang steep though.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,595 Posts
Pick n pull Lakewood has 2 foresters in that year range.

·
General pain in the ass
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny. I just called them, everything is closed, and no one's picking up :/ They may be shipping during the week though....

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,595 Posts
Yeah that store has a problem with answering the phones. It's a self service yard, they wouldn't pull it for you anyways. If you want to get one shipped to you, call up B&R in Graham.

·
Registered
94&93 vr4, 94 rx7, 98 2.5rs, 95 Supra TT
360 Posts
I know it's possible to modify an 05 sti clockspring to fit a 2.5rs. I'm running one in my 98 2.5rs. Originally I used the 98 clockspring and I had cut the airbag connector off and soldered on a single phase airbag plug. This worked great for a few years until my clockspring failed. I couldn't find a replacement. I ended up parting out an 05 sti so I saved the clockspring and the white plastic backing.

I was able to make it fit by using 2 zip ties on the top and doing some Dremel work on the bottom. These are the only pics I have. It's been a few years but I think there is a bolt on the bottom that points up. I ground the plastic so it slid just over the top of the metal flange with the threaded hole. Normally you'd want to put a bolt in from the top, through the plastic and into the threaded metal part. But that's not possible because there is no way you could physically tighten it.

So instead I drilled a small hole in the plastic and thread the bolt from the bottom through the threaded metal part and up into the hole I had drilled in the plastic. So it's not sandwiched but the bolt threads go into the hole. Make the hole the same size as the threads and it's will be a snug and secure fit. And there was no way the large white plastic backing can go anywhere as it's snug around the steering column. The zip ties and bolt just keep it from wanting to spin. Then I installed the 05 sti clockspring and everything was good.

·
General pain in the ass
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried any of the peripherals? Wipers or blinkers, etc.. Not sure if the plugs on these would line up.
Or perhaps shitting the whole steering column in? I dont know if they are similar length.

I saw the whole STI / WRX steering column for ~200, might as well transplant the whole thing at this point.

·
Registered
94&93 vr4, 94 rx7, 98 2.5rs, 95 Supra TT
360 Posts
That's true I did use the two wiper/blinker stocks as well. I had the whole assembly from an 05 sti. What's funny is my steering column is a 98. All the stuff on it is from an STI. (clockspring stuff, ignition, steering rack) Maybe I could have swapped the whole column. IDK if the column itself has differences. All my peripherals work.

·
General pain in the ass
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know that the steering column on STI has a different connector to rack and pinion. I have a whole thread of it from years back on how we connected STI steering rack to GC8. ..But that involved welding... way too much work :)

So, the TLDR:
You took the white box, the two stalks. Dremelled and zip tied it, and with the exception of the one bolt underneath, everything else lined up?
And then, you used 05 STi clock spring, which plugged right into the 98 wiring harness. The wrx or sti steering wheel fits right in. And the airbag can come from any of the 02-05 sti or wrx or by the sound of it, even some other models?

Fuck. Beautiful.

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs coupe
1,012 Posts
So changing the clock spring you are able to use the two stage airbag explosive with, say, an RS srs module? Generally speaking you would normally swap for a wrx single stage explosive when just doing a steering wheel swap so that would be some good, interesting news to hear

·
General pain in the ass
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So changing the clock spring you are able to use the two stage airbag explosive with, say, an RS srs module? Generally speaking you would normally swap for a wrx single stage explosive when just doing a steering wheel swap so that would be some good, interesting news to hear
Can you share what you know about the swap?
Since the parts I got don't work, I am all ears. At this point,all I have is an 02 wrx clock spring

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs coupe
1,012 Posts
Sure thing, what exactly isn't working for you? I have a 02 wrx engine and dash swap using my stock 2000 2.5rs steering column and clock spring. So I know the 2000 RS and 02 wrx clocksprings are plug n play. Then I'm using a jdm v7 wrx steering wheel

So I'm not sure if they mount the same. But seems like you could Jimmy rig it like the 05 sti clockspring If they are similar.

Also My pick n pulls were still open when I went earlier this month, I can check them for you. I see a couple foresters in a couple different yards around me, if its a replacement clockspring you're looking for.

·
General pain in the ass
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That would be super awesome. If I can get a vanilla stock spring from a 98-01 impreza, I should be good to use a wrx steering wheel.
From the post above, looks like getting the spring I have to work is way more painful than I expected.

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs coupe
1,012 Posts
Sure thing, I'll double check the stock at each yard, make sure they still got some foresters. And yeah should be good to go with the wrx wheel, my v7 was plug n play. And 05+ difference is just the airbag pretty sure. And you can just swap the wrx explosive over.

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs coupe
1,012 Posts
Just checked. One yard just got a 99 forester in on the 4th. Ill try and make my way out there tomorrow.

Edit: it would be a forester clockspring

·
General pain in the ass
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that's sick. I'll pm you

·
General pain in the ass
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·