Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, I've had these (Toyo Proxes FZ4's) on for the last 3 weeks and am simply amazed by this all season tire! The only tire I have to compare it to is the Nitto 450 and the FZ4's are leaps and bounds ahead of that tire.

The FZ4's are quiet, track well, really stick well in the curves for an all season and don't feel like you are riding on steel rims.

I don't autocross and don't drive at the extreme limits all the time so I can't tell you about wear and tear. But for the one big curve that I take every night I am able to take it much faster than I could with the Nitto's. I am truly impressed by these tires.

I needed a tire that would do well in the summer, give some comfort and not be so damned scary in a late or early season surprise snow storm. Of course I run dedicated snow tires (Michelin Arctic Alpins) but I've been caught off guard twice and driving 50 miles in deep snow on summer tires is not fun.

I'd say this is a tire for that kind of driver that wants performance, doesn't worry about ride comfort all that much, and needs an all season.

I give them two thumbs up.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
I've done a few Auto-x's with mine and find them to be pretty good too. The sidewalls are nice and stiff too. I haven't been able to scuff up the side walls at all. I'm very happy with the rain and snow performance too. I got them a little before the winter. I think they could do with being a little quieter though.

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS
355 Posts
They look like they are a tire made to suit wet conditions, how well do they do in the dry, hot climates? Like, in comparison to other, mainly dry tires?
thanks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heh heh, once summer hits and if this damned drought doesn't go away I'll let you know. It's only been 80 degrees here, tops, (Denver) and so far and they are great.

Peaty, you done any auto-x's during some really hot weather with those?

I think the tire is more oriented towards dry and wet road handling with the secondary ability of being able to handle small amounts of snow.

It's funny that Tire Rack doesn't carry them. I wonder why? Mike Shields swears by Toyo tires. Now I see why.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Oh it gets hot here in Kansas :eek: We've had the hottest spot in the nation 2 days in a row at something like 114°F. Anyway, I have yet to own a set of strictly summer tires, so I really can't compare. All the places I've lived so far have a winter season. Although KS has relatively mild winters usually.

In any case I find the Toyo's to be one of the better blend of all season tires I've owned so far. I agree they are skewed towards dry/wet over snow. They do OK in the snow though. Still, any tire that has more than one purpose is a compromise. My guess is summer rubber would be the best if you don't have to deal with any snow. Once these tires wear out I'll go with some summer Toyo's as I still have my OEM tires and rims I can use in the winter. This is my second set of Toyo's. A previous set I had on my Contour and I was happy with those too. Toyo's have pretty stiff side walls which tend to make them harsher but grippier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts