Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had a few days of snow here in the Denver area and I just wanted to say that the Toyo Proxes FZ4 performed very well being a High Performance All-Season type tire. I use a 205x50x16 size.

Although not as confident as a full on snow tire they still did very well. They also still corner very well even when it is 12 degrees outside.

I don't think they would do to well in the deep stuff say over 5" - 6" or on black ice. But in the slushy, hard packed not to icy stuff they were great. I could induce a rear-end kick out and pull out of it easily with just a little throttle. Not once did I ever feel I was out of control. They seem to have decent bite to them. I'm impressed. You do have to give yourself a little more stopping distance but not like you would with a dedicated summer tire.

I've had a lot of fun with these tires for the past few days. I'm going to keep using them for the rest of the winter or until mother nature deems it necessary that I put on my Arctic Alpins post haste. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey there, I would have to agree with you there, the FZ4 works quite well in the conditions you described. Mine got my through the winter last year with no trouble, and even some real deep days.

This year i'm going to run a new set of Dunlop W/S M2's though, but the FZ4 are indeed a functional all-season.:sunny:

·
Registered
508 Posts
DUDE!!! I have the toyo's in stock size OH Yea!

I haven't felt anyother ties besides the RE92's but from last winter they are bang'n just don't get too cocky

Fuckin great tires...

·
Registered
29 Posts
First off, I wanna give you props for going with the TRUE wrx tire size, and not the fat ass, stock tires which look too big on the car (especially when lowered). Second, my winter tires are the FZ4 in 205/50/16, and they do wonderful in those snowy slippery conditions, I just need a second set of wheels (i dont want to un-mount the Azenis) and there is 6 in. of snow outside.:biggest:

Chris.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
subguy2,

How are they doin' in the semi-deep stuff?

We've had another inch or two here and I'm still impressed. Of course when stopping you have to be more gentle than with a set of dedicated snow tires but taking off and cruising I have had no problems what so ever (knock on wood). Even on hard pack they do pretty damn good!

Shawn S.

P.S. - yup, I don't like the look of the fatty tires. When I heard that the original WRX's ran 205x50x16's I swapped out pretty darn quick. I run a very conservative SPT/Eibach springs with KYB-GR2 struts and the tire size matches the car perfectly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I havent really had a chance to run in some deep stuff, as we did not have much snow last year. But I probably will get a chance this year.

Chris.

P.S. Yeah, the 205/50's just give it a much cleaner look

1 - 6 of 6 Posts