Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
05 LGT limited
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's here your opinions.

My vote is for the Toyota 22R/RE. I've owned two, one new and one very used. I once tried to blow up the new one, started it cold and held the accelerator dead to the carpet for about 3 minutes in nuetral, revved about 7400 rpm (redline was 5700)and gave up, floated the valves... damn truck ran for another 100k last I heard, and is still running AFAIK. The very used one I bought knocking, after having been driven for 2 years with no timing chain guides (all broken) and one severely cracked piston (broken by a piece of guide whipped up by the crank) previous owner finally let it run low on oil and spun a rod bearing. 150,000 miles and no measurable wear in the cylinders, all the crank journals and bearings were still good, except for the one rod of course. Cost me $300 to rebuild it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The 22r series is a very good engine, my buddy's is still going strong in a '80 pickup. although I've got more miles and just as much abuse on my 5.0 HO pickup trucks engine. I bought the thing for $400 put it in my '85 F150, drove a little over 200k miles and rebuilt it for less than $400 and presantly have around 500k miles total on the truck since it was put in. My buddys' pu has around 350k on it with nothing but normal upkeep. We both do a lot of ridge running in them and I use mine to haul junk with (as a side hobby I buy and rebuild wrecks and sell them for a small profit ;) ) I've also seen over 300k out of a 3.0L 12 valve V6 in a Taurus. For some reason Fords have been good to me, I just hope I can get the same kind of service out of my Legacy :biggest:

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
you've got my vote on the 22r/Re...you can't kill those damn things....the truck falls apart but the motor just DOESN'T die!!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
The slant six gets my vote: Buddy of mine had a Velare wagon in college. Truely horrendously ugly car it wouldn't die. He ran it out of coolant; the engine block was red. So he turned it off and went "oh boy" He just filled it back up, patched the hose or radiator or whatever it was that was leaking, and commenced to driving it again. I've also heard of people running it without oil until it stopped; then just refilling the case and cranking it back up once it was cold again.

Ask some garage mechanics and and see if they remember them...I've always heard stories about that engine more than any others. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Saab slant I4.

It was half of a Lancia V8 mounted backwards with the belts at the firewall, and they're nearly indestructible. It took more than 25lbs of boost to blow the one in my old Saab SPG, and that had stock heads and bottom end!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Shit man, on my NA 125hp Saab that I have right now I routinely downshift hard enough to chirp the front tires.... and the engine loves it. The tranny finally gave way, but that's another story... LOL!!! The engine is doing great!

·
Registered
05 LGT limited
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, yeah, I forgot about the old "Super 6" (slant six) Dodge actually had a 275hp 225 Formula"S" slant six in the late sixties. talk about a sleeper!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I delivered pizzas in a '63 Plymoth Valiant Signet. It had a 225 slant six hooked to a pushbutton TorqueFlight tranny. Just put it in neutral...rev it till you think it would pop and push the #1 button. All hell would break loose but nothing ever broke! Pissed off more than one of the great American muscle cars of the day. Of course they would blow by me at a hundred yards. But that first hndred yards was mine!:burnout:

Did I mention I was really old!

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
My first car was a 1969 Plymouth Valiant. 225 slant six. Car always ran, top speed of around 120mph. That's about how fast my RS goes, BTW.

So I finally sold it and got a 1967 Mustang, with a 200 straight six. Top speed of 85 MPH. WTF?

Ditched that and got another 67 Mustang with the 289 V8. Top speed? 105.

I should have kept that car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts