Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I am a noob please bear with me. 1st just to let you know I have done research here and can't find my answer. my 99 Subie L with a 4EAT shifts smooth as glass until I go up a hill and it shifts down under acceleration, at that time I get this hellasious bang from the drive train. What in the world would cause that?

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
Start with the simplest.. has the trans fluid and/or center diff fluid ever been changed?

Is the bang from the trans area or somewhere else?

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the Fluids when I bought the car about a year ago . The sound seems to be coming from the rear of the car but then again my hearing is shot from working around jets so it just a guess and a feel

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
Are you the only person you know that can hear sounds?

Cause if you cant you might wanna try someone who can...

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
assuming you are correct and it is coming from the rear,..i'm gonna guess shock to the system from the kick down is making the worn out rear bushings slam around the rear diff in the cradle. could also be the outrigger bushing are next to gone. could also be the subframe bushings are toast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool deal

Thanks for the input, it sounds like you are on the money. I paid very close attention to the source of the clunk this morning driving home from work and it is coming from the rear end so I will get under there and do a visual on it . Any good source for those bushings that you could recommend? Thank for your help I really appreciate it.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
kartboy makes them all. you can get them from kartboy directly, rallysportdirect and a few other retailers. there are other brands out there too..i have AVO. google search and or check out rallysport's website. they have just about everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts