Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:checkit: I remember read in a article by Tom and Ray (the CAR Talk guys). Stating that AT transmission Subaru's torque split is 90:10 and a manual is 50:50.Does anyone really know? Thanks:eek:

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
hmmm....i don't think it's true....the torque split should be the same cuz the only difference between manual and auto is the transmission....the differentials should be the same...but i'm not sure...

~lue

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
It switches to anywhere between 60/40, up to 90/10. It's controled by viscous coupling fluid in the diff. It gets hot, expands, providing more pressure. I don't believe the manual or auto is any different.

This is all from a fading memory, but I think I am correct.

·
Registered
174 Posts
the numbers at the top are true...
manual 50:50 under normal.
auto is different. I don't remember if 90:10 is correct... it sounds right though.

The auto uses an electronicaly controlled centre diff, where as the MT is a mechanical (viscous fluid) system.

Try searching in the tranny forum, you're bound to find some results... and at either place while you're at it... that's the only thing i use that site for anymore.. :run: :biggest:

·
Registered
2004 Impreza 2.5RS (Red)
9 Posts
well, i launched my '04 rs from a stop on some wet road (private property) to find out and my friend watching from the outside said the front wheels spun a lot more than the rear. its a MT

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,235 Posts
:clap: Awesome Necro Bump!!

MT Open Center Diff 50:50 split.
AT Wet-Clutch Center Diff 90:10 (ish).
Actually, I'm not even sure you can call the AT a Center Diff. It's not even a true diff.
Yeah, I called the MT an Open Center Diff, cuz IMO, that lame Viscous Coupling diff.. is just that... lame!! Sure it works fine for "helping" transfer torque in wet or snow conditions, but it's borderline useless on dry.

@Don, what your friend saw was the limitations of our open & VC differentials. Prior to installing my OBX Torsen Front Diff, at an AutoX, I could easily spin the front inside wheel on a hard corner. Now, it just grabs and turns. :)

·
Registered
2000 BRP 3.3RS
1,073 Posts
Viscous is still a type of limited slip. Yes it can be "opened" easy in stock form, but it is not open. FYI. I have a STi center diff for my 5speed that requires 5 times the force to unlock.

Otherwise, bang on.

Just look at all that misinformation from the past....

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts