Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
00 2.5RS BRP
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm buying an oldschool torque chip from a fellow member and I want to know if its worth it. (it is not an ebay chip so only post if you have relevant info on it)

· Registered
17,115 Posts
I've seen a couple of them around, but not many. I'm assuming it's similar to the ProECM powerchip. There's not a lot of research on them, and nothing really compelling one way or another. I would skip on it... stick to things you're certain of. You don't want to take the risk, especially when it deals with something as important as the ECU and the basic functions of your motor. Like I said, there's no compelling evidence one way or another, so I would steer clear just in case. Get a PP6 or an I-Speed reflash.

· Registered
00 2.5RS BRP
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen a couple of them around, but not many. I'm assuming it's similar to the ProECM powerchip. There's not a lot of research on them, and nothing really compelling one way or another. I would skip on it... stick to things you're certain of. You don't want to take the risk, especially when it deals with something as important as the ECU and the basic functions of your motor. Like I said, there's no compelling evidence one way or another, so I would steer clear just in case. Get a PP6 or an I-Speed reflash.
ya man thanks alot i'm gonna pass and get a rear strut bar :D

· The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
6,720 Posts
The torque chip wasn't as popular as the powerchip. They both do what a S-AFC would do, without having the human intervention. The up side is that since it's wired in, the MAP based RS's should maintain the improvements in A/F adjustment versus relearning on an S-AFC.

I would only buy it if it comes with the directions because wiring something up to the ECU is not an area you want to guess on.

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
If you're looking for a good one with decent price get the tcs strut bar. I got the front and it is built well. It's not an "ebay" bar, its just sold there.

· General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
4,539 Posts
Hey, funny thing... I'm selling the chip and many people been asking me the same question directly. I started digging and....

I believe PRO Chip and JC Torque Chip are a same thing by same people. I've emailed the company to find out what (if any) improvements the PRO chip has over JC chip.

· Registered
1998 'Rally' Blue RS 2.5
50 Posts
I bought a 'scooby racing' torque chip from a guy (the same thing is still marketed but under a different name which I don't recall) and found that on my 98 the speed sensor connection cannot be done because first it is not needed because there is no speed limitation on the ecu and second because the OBD II speed sensor has fail safes built into the system and when connected, the cruise will not work and it will throw some speed sensor codes that when lit up change the rpm limiter to something like 3500 or 4000 rpm. The other connection is to the engine temp sensor which is also an old school way to richen a mixture by telling the computer the engine is cold, thus stuill runing in enriched mode.

It did make a difference especially in mid range...I also have CAI and custom 2.25" manifold back exhaust with high flow convertor which probably synergised with any gain the chip pfovided so with a strictly stock engine thhe difference MIGHT not be as noticable.

I'm not sure how much the difference was from the actual chip as compared to just jumpering the engine temp sensor with the appropriate value resistor.

Hope that helps

Les

· General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
4,539 Posts
Hey Les, you still running the chip?

Are you sure it was meant to work with a 98?
I know the chip I have wont work with anything below a 99 (MAP), and only MT. (I got a 98 now, thus the sale.)

Also, subarus already run on the rich side, so further enriching the mixture will cause retardation. CEL and limp mode typically occur with bad install... like alligator clips, swapped in/out wires or incompatible chip.

· Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
1,238 Posts
I've had an original JC torque chip in my car for 10 years. What they didn't work with was automatic transmissions. There's hundreds of them floating around. If you bought a used RS or Legacy 5spd, look under the passenger carpet or right hand kick panel under the dash. Some of you might not even know you have one if you bought your car used.

ProECM copied it later but they were notorious for degrading over time. Other versions that invaded too many sensor signals just jacked with the computer. Mine has held up just fine, even on E85 :). The version 1 was the best one and the simplest. It fools the speed sensor. By doing so, you get more timing and fuel that isn't "hardwired". The knock sensor can still retard timing as needed. They also like premium fuel. On E85 with everything else I've done, it performs flawlessly and the slight extra bump in timing and fuel is nice to have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.