Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 GF4 " Bruiser"
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon Ladies and the few gentlemen

Helping a buddy with his build, and on my RS i had a sweet spacer/gasket for the upper torque box that was made of rigid plastic so you could close the air box properly and not run two air filters, just one in the airbox pre maf.

In my 15 min search i cant seem to find it, or what its called.

Tell me im crazy or where i should be looking

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
929 Posts
You're talking about a car that has an air filter in a clamshell immediately before the throttle body? It doesn't answer your question, but those cars used map sensors, I believe. The MAF cars I've owned all had the filter in the clam shell on the frame rail.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You're talking about a car that has an air filter in a clamshell immediately before the throttle body? It doesn't answer your question, but those cars used map sensors, I believe. The MAF cars I've owned all had the filter in the clam shell on the frame rail.
I was unsure what he was referring to until I looked at pictures of 1999 2.5rs engine bays. They have the clamshell like you’re referring to on the frame. They have a second clamshell before the throttle body, just like the 00/01 MAP ej25’s.

I’ve only owned an 01 and a 98; didn’t know dual clamshell airboxes were a thing. I have no idea what’s in the pre-TB clamshell.

Does the torque box clamshell not seal without a filter? Can you cut up a stock filter to work?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did some poking around and came across an old post by Peaty on this subject. (Thank god for Peaty/Kastle/Brian back in the day.)

I think the part you’re looking for is 16553AA041, but I can’t find it for sale anymore.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
929 Posts
Of course, the wierdo 1999 setup.

·
Premium Member
96 GF4 " Bruiser"
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts