Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 OBS black pearl (suki)
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has two air filters, one in the normal airbox location, and one in the torque box. Since the one in the torque box appears to have a solid metal frame, I should just be able to remove the filter material & not have any adverse effects, as long as I put the frame back where the filter was, right?

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,030 Posts
Yes, your only supposed to have 1 air filter. Some cars evn came with a plastic spacer in the torque box to mimic a filter, subaru likes using left over parts on our cars :lol:

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS, 2013 Legacy 3.6R
119 Posts
Some 1999 MAF based cars came from the factory with two air filters. Mine did, as well as plenty of threads about the subject.
You do not need both, but being MAF based you need one before the MAF(air box by fender).
There is a gasket(expensive) that is designed to seal the split torque box. The OEM part number is 16553AA041.

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,934 Posts
Thank you for pn I been looking around forever for that airbox gasket! I did that setup on my RS long ago but it was an 01 so I just ran the gasket and an elbow off the torque box with a cone filter. I want to do the same setup on my OBS and for now I did what op did and gutted an air filter. It is too flimsy though once the element is removed so I had to glue it onto the airbox otherwise the top part would sag. Plus you need to slather at least a nice thick coat of polyurethane sealer on the inside of the filter's frame or unless you want your car ingesting tons of loose paper fibers.

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,934 Posts
Just saw that the gasket MSRP's for $100 or $89 on subaruparts :eek:

·
Registered
'99 RS
425 Posts
When I bought that gasket to replace the air filter in the torque box; the dealer price matched the gasket for me. I think they wanted $114.xx and they matched the subaruparts price. Picked it up a couple days later and no shipping cost!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts