Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Baller
04 STI, '11 R6 Race
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 2005 Legacy GT, 116k, apparently with the ej257 block.

See Whats wrong with my car - video inside for details

Tore the engine down because of the noise, figured I would do head gaskets regardless. Having a loud valve type noise from the driver's side, quieter version of the same from the passenger side. Didn't sound like rod knock, couldn't really hear much from the block (screwdriver to ear noise test ha). I've had an engine with rod knock before, sounds a bit different, but I'm no pro.

Anyway, took some photos of the cylinders and heads, anything stand out? There is some minor scoring in one cylinder, other than that I'm not sure. Cross hatching looks good everywhere. Going to get the heads inspected this week.

Head 1

Head 2

Cylinder with scoring - can't feel the scoring by touch

·
Registered
11 wrx & 15 fozzy 2.5i
2,000 Posts
my guess is the valvetrain is a bit wear out, but still would do the job, even when the engine doesn't sounds smooth and quiet will last if it's well tuned. my old hybrid engine sounded like this, was an 257 block with mahle pistons and 05 wrx heads rebuild by the best around "headgames", cnc'ed and bc springs with retainers, stock cams.

definitely the noise came from the heads, but i did never had an issue with them and after a year and half is still running good.

·
Premium Baller
04 STI, '11 R6 Race
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More or less solved: shop says block is in good shape, they believe the valves need to be adjusted, which is going to be in progress any day now

1 - 3 of 3 Posts