Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving to Des Moines, IA, I freaked out my dad and little sis once I hit 100 mph. Oh well, F-it! Top Speed! I accelerate towards top and pass cars like they're not even moving (safetly... sorta), and my sis was all excited but my dad was gonna kill me. Anyways, I hit 116 mph and the Scooby wouldn't accelerate any faster. I have tried this three times and to my luck not any faster. I do have a Ganzflow, Amsoil air filter, custom exhaust, and good 0w-30 oil. I wonder why can't I hit top?

I was told from a buddy that it's better to hit top speed once in a long while to keep the engine used to fast speeds. It sounds right... if I were to buy a car from a granny, that car would die and probably explode once I hit redline. The engine's not used to it at all. I thought "oh why not?" :burnout:

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
You can't get higher because our car's horsepower fights it's relative lack of aerodynamics. I have hit right about 120 with only a Cobb intake. It took time and probably occured on a downhill...:lol:

Automatics also have an electronically limited top speed as well. I think the my98s might too...

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
Yes our cars are not very aerodynamic, and at those speeds, feels like the spoiler does nothing! Gets all floaty! Personally I have had the speedo buried a ways, 5th gear at around 5700 RPM, I think it was between 125 and 130, though the speedo loses accuracy somewhere around there. Not recommended, but it was on a long downhill and I didn't think I would make it, just cause of the altitude here, but I am stupid for trying, though it was fun.

Nick C.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
DanzBorin said:
Automatics also have an electronically limited top speed as well. I think the my98s might too...
My MY00 does not have a limiter on the 4EAT, at least not one that cuts out before ~125mph :p

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Asp
152 Posts
i'm gonna agree with james

my girl topped her's out and it's a 98 with a 4eat

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know no one drives over a hundred mph normally, but Larry Ganz stated that with his intake, his car hit 125 mph as well as some of his customers. Lie?

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
I got mine up to 120 (indicated) once, with the GanzFlow, K&N, and I don't remember if I had the Stomung yet or not. Felt like it had a little bit more left, but traffic was coming up, and doing 120 through traffic is stupid and unsafe, no matter what. If somebody cuts in front of you, it's all over. You'll either try to avoid, and at that speed, probably loose control, or you'll hit them, which would be like hitting a stopped car while you where doing 50+. Don't speed through traffic.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
the fastest i've ever gone in my impreza is ~125 (buried the speedo). it still had a little pull left when i let off as we (another RS and an A6 i believe) approached traffic. this was coming down I-55 in IL. i got a ticket later that night for doing 90 in a 60 and was glad to get it :) oh, my car is stock. the other RS had an N1 at the time. i've also passed a F355 spyder at 115 :D actually, it was myself and several other scoobs and a couple of celicas. rich boy must of shat himself :)

anywho, if you can't get the car above 116 i say kick out the damn passengers :rolleyes: weight = bad

·
Registered
01 BRP RS
131 Posts
well for the record, I have gotten my 01 Manual to just over 125 with a total of 4 people in the car avg 200lbs on a flat straight road between Salt Lake City and Wendover NV. I have a ganz, K&N, and front strut brace and RE92's. felt good to me

·
GC8 FTW
7,470 Posts
whats the fuss? im stock, and i have done about 110-120 on normal freeways....i dunno what to say? haha...im going to be turbo soon...umm so i'll let ya know...but it felt like i could go faster

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
I hit a little over 120 mph. It still had a little bit of pull left. It wasn't quite redline in 5th. I had a passenger and my car had: Ganzflow CAI & AMSoil filter and a 2.25 STi exhaust.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a 1997 2.2L with a 4EAT and I have a speed limiter that stops the fun at around 110mph. The fastest I have every gotten a Subaru to go was in my 1985 (yes 1985) Turbo GL Sedan....138mph. It was probably the most stupid thing I have ever done. Those cars are not happy at that speed. But hey I was only 16..

-Andy

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
No way, and '85 Subie. Being a proud driver of such a car at one time, you really must be crazy. I'd gotten mine up to about 90 and it was way too floaty to be driving any faster.

Nick C.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i've gotten mine to about 136 ...that's measured by a guy next to me with his speedo and us going neck and neck ...but i don't think there was anything left, and it was a little downhill.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Cowannago-

I must admit that the speed was digital, so I don't know how accurate it was. I had a friend in the car with me, and we talked about it last night. He still remembers seeing the digital speedo read out...and silently awaiting his death. At that speed, the car was really floaty, but the steering stayed true...The issue came when I was started breaking....the car started swerving left and right and I barely kept control. Like I said it was probably a really stupid thing to do. If your old suby is turbo, you should take it somewhere really safe, wear a helmet and see how fast you can go....you will be suprised...

-Andy

P.S. Oh yeah, my car HAD those damn pneumatic shocks, but they wore out so I had some stiff KYB shocks put in as a replacement, that might have effected the cars high speed handling.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Something to consider. If driving at high speeds, it may be better to have the tire pressures not pumped all the way up (stock recommendation? [32 F - 29 R psi]). Having more grip is always better, thus decreasing the floatyness among high speeds. Hmmm, higher wheel psi does sound like it'll get you at a higher mph since the rubber rotation sees more alphalt per rotation. I guess it's all a matter of what the driver decides to fit it in.

·
Registered
Leg 3.6R, FXT, XV, BRZ
325 Posts
Ummm....I've pointed the needle almost straight down...way past the supposed last mark on the speedo...

Only HP mods...SPT Cat-back exhaust & K&N filter...go figure...

·
Registered
89 Posts
125, with only a set of N1 pulleys and tires that would carry me that fast safely...about 2 weeks after i bought the car, and apparently the girlies next to me on the i-4 onramp in the silver RS mistook my car for another RS (it was the rims i guess), and decided to race. i figured, "what they hey? i'll get spanked for sure, but it'll be fun."

to my suprise, they didn't pull away as quickly as i thought they would, and i could stay within about a car length most of the way. let's hear it for better aerodynamics, yeah! i didn't realize how fast i was going until i glanced down at the speedo. 110...yikes! :eek:

i figured i had come that far, so i crossed my fingers, and managed to get it up to 125. at that point the RS was starting to crawl away at about 5-10mph. i still had another 500-750rpm to go before redline in 5th (which according to my gearing would make the car good for another 10mph), but it just wouldn't go any faster.

then we came up on heavy traffic, and i lost my nerve (or re-gained my common sense, depends on how you look at it) and backed off...the girl driving the RS kept GOING. anyone can go 125+ on an empty highway, but she was doing it through traffic, with ease. :eek: unfortunately, i never saw her again. :(

i dunno...i always bitch about how slow my car is, but on the way to the mastro meet, i had no trouble running in the convoy of modded WRX's...go figure. i shudder to think what i could do with twice the hp... ;)

on another top-speed note, why does my L have a 140mph speedo, and every other non-WRX subaru i've been in only goes to 120? a sign perhaps? :lol:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts