Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

just wanted to know where i can buy a top mounted intercooler for my 01 rs. How much would it improve the cars performance if any? I would like to get one brand new, but almost new would be okay also. peace out

·
Registered
1993 Impreza L Greyish
1,694 Posts
Intercoolers

When air is compressed, it heats up; and when air heats up, it expands. So some of the pressure increase from a turbocharger is the result of heating the air before it goes into the engine. In order to increase the power of the engine, the goal is to get more air molecules into the cylinder, not necessarily more air pressure.

An intercooler or charge air cooler is an additional component that looks something like a radiator, except air passes through the inside as well as the outside of the intercooler. The intake air passes through sealed passageways inside the cooler, while cooler air from outside is blown across fins by the engine cooling fan.

The intercooler further increases the power of the engine by cooling the pressurized air coming out of the compressor before it goes into the engine. This means that if the turbocharger is operating at a boost of 7 psi, the intercooled system will put in 7 psi of cooler air, which is denser and contains more air molecules than warmer air

(Thanks howstuffworks.com :p )

As far as where to get one... there are a variety of webpages that sell turbokits for the RS (ludespeed.com, forcedairtech.com, etc...) Check out the Forced Induction forums for more info

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
First of all, do you have a turbo or supercharger on your car? If not, an intercooler will not do you any good. In fact, and IC on a NA car will cause less power because of the restriction in the air intake. But if you are FI'd, there are several options for a top-mount. You could go to www.ludespeed.com , he will sell you the intercooler seperately, or you could find a WRX IC and use that, or get a Saab 900 IC and use it as a top mount (this is what I'm doing).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts