Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Black 1998 2.5 RS Impreza
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned above what are the pros and cons of running a top mount oil cooler? I've heard it creates to much of a restriction and I've also heard that it messes with the flow of air through your rad. But would the extra cooling abilities [with a thermostat] be enough to offset the issues that come with having a open hood scoop?

I'm looking at a "hood mounted" cooler setup that basically is going to be hard tubed in with 1/2" 035" SS tubing and a flexible braid hose for the hood where it opens and closes and from the relocated oil filter to the vehicle frame.

Anyway I would like everyone's opinion on this before I start the build.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also if there is any interest I might think about making a bolt together kit & ducting brackets

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
I was told by the guys at SUMMIT racing that mounting my tans cooler to my hood was stupid due to vibrations and how much flex a hood has...

Granted I wasn't planning on mounting it to the hood I AM going to mount it up by the hood scoop to direct cool air to the cooler. I'm going to be mounting it with braces made of aluminum stock in a fashion that will look like a strut brace.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Josh thank you for the information, I have read that topic its what influenced my decision. I did not know that the hood vibrated so much! I always figured that it would vibrate less than a engine mount.

Oil temperature gets fairly hot upwards of 230+ on a good summer day and it gets even hotter under "stressed" conditions. The car in question is a pretty aggressive n/a build & it tends to get run pretty hard

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It may not flex as much if it was on proper mounts I was thinking where the splitter bolts up to. That should in theory reduce the strain on the cooler itself. Option two is to mount it to the braces for my torque box which are unused because of my hybrid intake setup but from what I have seen they tend to vibrate like heck.

·
Registered
2012 Audi S4
1,954 Posts
Josh thank you for the information, I have read that topic its what influenced my decision. I did not know that the hood vibrated so much! I always figured that it would vibrate less than a engine mount.

Oil temperature gets fairly hot upwards of 230+ on a good summer day and it gets even hotter under "stressed" conditions. The car in question is a pretty aggressive n/a build & it tends to get run pretty hard
when i first saw your post on the temperatures that you were hitting i thought you must be in the southern states to be getting that warm. Then i saw you are in Alberta as well. Being from Calgary i dont really run into any issues with the engine getting too hot, even during track days. Just curious about all this because i have a friend with a tuned up WRX and he averages 90 celcius or 190-200 farenhite, was my understanding that turbo cars run hotter than NA to begin with.

What sorta NA build do you have? What weight of oil are you running? I assume you have gauges if you can specifically say what temperature you are hitting, and if so what is your oil pressure doing at these temperatures?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Current build: N/A,kind of budget,Torquey slice of Heaven

Engine:
All new sensors (You would be amazed at the difference this makes)
Bore+ stroked 2.5 L
Delta cams (Yes all 4 on the DOHC)
Shaved heads(only slightly)
Port +Polished Heads
Grounding Kit + Big three SOLID copper grounds
Upgraded Ign Wires + Coils
Hybrid intake
Apexi Neo A/F controller
Apexi N1 Exhaust(90mm)
Borla Headers (UEL &Heat wrapped)
Track pipe (with ports for my Wideband) (90mm)
Phenolic Spacers
(working on getting a Apexi ITC *wink wink guys*)
Apexi Panel filter(Best one i've found for our cars btw)
Perrin Light weight Pulleys

Currently runs pretty lean but in the safe zone for N/a REALLY needs a solid tuning though (waiting on that ITC)

Its should be noted that the car only would ever need the cooler under hard driving conditions, & is pretty much going on with a thermostat just because i am running out of stuff to do to the car :<

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Most likely, hoping to take the car to light speed innovations this summer for that tune. Ps Guys from Alberta/Canada these guys carry pretty much anything we need no need to go to the states. Just ordered my sway bars from them :)

Sorry guys import duties suck ass...

As for what oil i run i like to use Castrol synthetic 10w:30 in the summer & 5w:30 in the winter

·
Registered
2012 Audi S4
1,954 Posts
WOW not quite the build i was expecting lol, very well done.

Oh and gd808, im not sure what lightspeeds prices are like but for a lot of parts tougetuning in Ontario can get almost any whiteline/kartboy/grimmspeed product, just fyi.

sucks you cant get the crawford reflash either, im sure they could custom tune your car into a boost killer lol. id love to see a dyno of your car, im sure you could be pushing into the 180-190whp easily with the proper tuning.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Touge Tuning! yeah i got some of my stuff from them! haha funny how that worked out

Tell you what ill post the results when i do get it dynoed

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone got a cheap APEXI ITC? sooner i get one the sooner i can post numbers :b

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.