Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've sold my Weapon R intake and decided to run in H-Stock instead of STS, my stock airbox is back on the car. I had the bumper cover off yesterday, and decided to do something with the intake, since the hole in the airbox just stops at the hole in the fender. I did some surgery on my silencer, or snorkus thing, whichever you prefer, and took it apart and cut off the tube that goes up to the air box. I was happy with it for yesterday, but today I decided it wasn't enough. I went up to AutoZone and bought freshair intake hose, such as what you would see on an older car with a carb. I clamped it onto the end of the silencer tube, and ran it straight to the brake duct on my bumper. It can't be seen unless you really look close! My question is, am I risking getting water in my engine if I run that setup all the time? It seems like any water would have to go quite a distance to reach the engine, plus get past the air filter. Thanks!

:D

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I almost forgot...I should give credit where it's due! I got the idea from Storm; that is similar to how he sets up his car for autocross! :)

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Any pic???

don't worry about water, you would have to be up to the top of your wheels in water to have any get into your motor.:p

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Legal in stock, probably not... danger to engine, probably not... cheap source of cold air... yup :) . I'd say run it in the local events and dont speak up too loud, if you're going to do any divisionals I'd be more cautious. BTW, I have a very similar setup using the "cold air tube" from the local parts store pressure fitted to the front of my Weapon R intake. Love it! As for whether or not it works, look at the number of bugs on the filter element :)

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for whether or not it works, look at the number of bugs on the filter element
:lol:

I took some pics of the way I did the silencer tube, but it will be a few days...I only have a 35mm camera so I have to get the film developed onto a picture CD. I don't have any pics of the rest of it, since I just pulled back the splash shield to do the rest.

I doubt I'll be going to any divisionals any time soon, but I know what you mean.

Thanks for the input!
:)

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I got my pics back today! The quality isn't the best, but here they are! Here is the silencer/snorkus after I took it apart and cut the tubes apart:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The next two are pics of it mounted to the car; I thought I took the pics from further away, though!

Attachments

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
I have to say that is one of the most creative intakes I've seen. I dont think anyone has done anything with the stock "snorkus"... ever. Well, I thought about turning mine into a lamp, or a piece of modern art :happynow:

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I don't know that it would make a very good lamp, though!:D

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
You should be just fine with that setup, Darrell. Just remember to check things out when the snow falls again. All you need now is a 2.2 ECU and you'll be making some power!

oh, you're welcome for the idea....it's working quite well for us actually! We should take pics of our setup & filter huh?:devil:

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't plan on keeping the hose on during the winter; if we even have one this year! Do you think my car would run properly with a 2.2 ECU? I don't want to blow the engine up just yet! :D You should take some pics of your setup and post them!

·
Registered
2001 Silverthorn Coupe
144 Posts
Very good idea for an intake.

Not taking anything away from your intake design it is good, but reconsider cheating. Lets just set aside any gains that you might have brought to the game with it, is it worth being called out for an illegal car? You have to run the same class as the 2.5's right? That stinks. I wouldn't protest you for that mod, but I really hate cheaters, rules are rules. If you have smaller events, maybe asking the other competors in your class if they care is a solution. I quite autoxing regularly because of them in stock class. A guy was running lowering springs, sway bars and an intake (exhausts are legal). Another guy in a WRX was running an anti-lift kit on his car. He was fast anyway, and he talked trash to me. If I ever auto-x again and he is there, I walking to the stewards on that fucker.

cheeRS,

Greg

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see what you are saying. However, I will be in H-Stock, which is where the 1.8 and 2.2 Imprezas go, but not the 2.5. I'm not necessarily trying to defend myself, but have you ever driven a 1.8 Impreza with AWD? It leaves a little too much to be desired, even for an H-Stock car; I think they should make I-Stock so the car would be more competitive!:D I realize I could be protested, but the only way anyone would know is if they were 6" away from the brake duct or if I told them, and that won't happen! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
The only thing that frightens me about ram-air setups on pre-MAP cars is water. While you might not have to worry about hydro-lock, just splashes can kill your MAF. The hot wire in there is "wicked thin" (wicked is an SI unit in New England). if 1 drop of water hits it, you could blow your MAF.

Suggestion: leave the tube in there, but make it so you can run a stock-ish intake when its wet out.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Igg, again 82k miles and only one blown MAF due to a faulty filter. I_H8, I conquer with section8 on not cheating, but the intake should work fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts