Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Are you on stock struts? Actually, 2" drop on any type of shocks will dramatically decrease it's lifespan. I have a friend who dropped his Impreza 2 or so inches, and already he had to change his struts. The ride must be really harsh and you're probably scraping the undersides often... :eek: Don't take my word for it though. I'm still on stock shocks. :eek:

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
Well when you just look at the numbers.......2inch....1.7inch..it doesn't look like much....

But on a car, 2 inches is quite a difference. If your car is being lowered via lowering springs, I'd say it's ok. If the springs are stiffer in anyway, it'll be like kickin_81 said, decrease your shocks lifespan. We say this because on the street, you go through several ups and downs along with pot-holes. On a smooth race track or city roads that are smooth where you live, I'd say it's ok.

It's best to get stiff struts along with any lowering springs that are stifffer. If just progressive springs, I'd say it's ok, but that's just my opinion. Progressive springs are quite nice though for at least some comfort and performance in it.

2 inches, you'll see a huge differnece! It is a little much but it'll look just perfect! Just know to choose your tire sizes.

FuJi

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Don't lower on anything stiffer than Eibachs on the stock struts, period. The eibachs have about the highest spring rate the stock struts can manage and beyond that you'll compromise safety! 2"/1.7" drop is fine if you've upgraded your struts, preferably to a shortened piston set of adjustables but I've run Intrax (which is what I think you're buying) and they were fine on my AGXs for over a year. Personally, the drop looks great if you're running stock 16" wheels but looks too ricey with anything larger.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
ricey...going larger isn't ricey, .... you got to be joking me. Will there be a time where I'll ever see us stop using the term rice?

Come on now, no more of that term, it's just a car.

FuJi

BTW, subaru91, you've got a PM.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
I was refering to the 2" drop with larger wheels :rolleyes: neither the 2" drop or larger wheels is by itself tacky (<-- how's that for an alternate word) but definitely look bad together.... and as stated in my previous post, this is how I PERSONALLY feel.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
sorry if I offend you in anyway...it's just I don't really like that word. Because in a sense it's not automotive. I classify myself as a real car enthusiast and so that term is not nessesary. I respect you opinion.:cool:

FuJi

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5 RS coupe SRP
421 Posts
Hey, my car I think is that low. With stock wheels. I got me an adjustable camber though, which is adjusted all the way to make sure I won't hit my fender. But I'm going 17's.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Fuji, no prob. I know where your coming from and I'm not a huge fan of the word either but people tend to take words like "tacky", "gaudy", etc more personally than "ricey"... at least in my experience. I know when I was running my Intrax I loved the look with stock wheels. I then saw a "all show, no go" L-model with with same suspension and 18's and it just looked terrible (then a gain the purple metallic paint didn't help either ;) ). For me, the stock 98 or 99 wheels (I have a 99) look great at the lower ride heights... the tires blend into the fenders nicely... As the wheel size goes up and tire profile goes down the blending becomes wheel and fender -vs- tire and fender.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Yeah, let's just start one thread at a time about stuff, link above is still open to continue...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.