Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2002 WRX Wagon
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've got an '01 RS with almost 160k miles (just hit 159k the other day) and am already wanting some more power after only having the car for a month :help:. I've been thinking of just purchasing a used turbo kit that pops up on the forums every once in a while but am really, really cautious about turboing an engine with almost 160k miles on it. Also, the headgaskets haven't even been changed. So basically I just want to know if it is possible to turbo my car for under $2,500 (for parts only) without doing much work to the stock block. Remember that my car is my daily driver and I won't be pushing more than 5 psi.

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS - RBP
1,605 Posts
You need to do a compression test. If you still have good/even compression, go for it.

It is really cheap though to put in some STi internals.

·
Registered
2015 STI Crystal White Pearl
1,861 Posts
I would do a full rebuild (rods, pistons, heads, seals), since it's already a 2.5L. There are a lot of 2.5L aftermarket support out there. To me, 160K original miles is a lot to add boost to, and the cost to repair it if something happens will be more than your $2,500 budget. 5 psi is okay on a high mileage RS as long as its healthy, but it still won't last.

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
160K miles is getting up there.....i wouldn't boost it.......what i would do is keep saving until you have the money rebuild it, get some quality EM and boost it....hell you'll probably need a rebuild soon anyway.....why not throw some low comp pistons in there then you can throw some real boost at it instead of the bs 5 psi....

keep on racking up the n/a miles....then when the engine starts feeling tired.....ITS TURBO TIME>....cant touch this...doo doodoooo

sorry...long day

·
Registered
99 Impreza RS rally blue pearl
705 Posts
It's a roll of the dice in your case. The positive,Its possible 5psi is fine and you can get away with that. The negative, your high milage motor is more likely to encounter problems than the same motor with less milage...... Go for it but dont be too surprised if something fails, or keep your mind at ease and refreshen or add low comp pistons to your set up. This being said I turboed my ride @ aprox 130,000mi and haven't looked back. To me it was an experiment that needed to be done. All in all, the more you know about the condition of your car and what you intend to do to it will let you make a more informed "calculated" descision.

·
Registered
2002 WRX Wagon
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information guys. I think I would just put in some low compression Wiseco pistons, which I've heard go for about $500. If I added new pistions, would I be good to go as far as boost goes or could I still have problems? How much psi could I run with the pistons?

@zerocooldsr: I'm very skeptical about the reliability of a JDM swap, especially considering the emissions and availability of parts aspects.

·
Premium Member
2001 2.5RS-T BRP
575 Posts
Thanks for the information guys. I think I would just put in some low compression Wiseco pistons, which I've heard go for about $500. If I added new pistions, would I be good to go as far as boost goes or could I still have problems? How much psi could I run with the pistons?

@zerocooldsr: I'm very skeptical about the reliability of a JDM swap, especially considering the emissions and availability of parts aspects.
If you are going to put pistons in you should replace the bearings too. Also inspect the heads and freshen them up a bit with new seals, springs and valve job. New oil pump, water pump and timing belt and you should be good to go.

I'm running over 10psi on a stock 01 RS so I'm sure you would be very safe with 15-17psi with the Wisecos depending on the turbo and tune.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
If you get pistons get rods too... i have seen sti pistons and rods together for easily under 300... much better than putting the money out for the wisecos.

Chris

·
Registered
2002 WRX Wagon
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I take it that I should only be doing all of this work if I get a compression test and the results turn out okay...but if the compression in the current heads is not good I might as well replace them with sti heads?

I'm still contemplating a turbo build vs. swap and am not sure how the price comparison would be do to the fact that I will need a standalone and some extra money in case something goes wrong if I go the turbo route.

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
So I take it that I should only be doing all of this work if I get a compression test and the results turn out okay...but if the compression in the current heads is not good I might as well replace them with sti heads?

I'm still contemplating a turbo build vs. swap and am not sure how the price comparison would be do to the fact that I will need a standalone and some extra money in case something goes wrong if I go the turbo route.
you cant just slap sti heads on and go.....if you are putting sti heads on you might as well just throw a complete sti engine in as you will need the sti ecu, wiring harness...timing belt...and a bunch of other stuff....STI heads = DOHC...rs heads = SOHC.....it just dont work!

if the heads are shot take them off, rebuild em and upgrade valve train, get some delta regrinds and some porting done...you'll still ahve spent less than the cost of sti heads....

woootooeyhowj

YEAH!

sorry...continues

·
Registered
2002 WRX Wagon
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you cant just slap sti heads on and go.....if you are putting sti heads on you might as well just throw a complete sti engine in as you will need the sti ecu, wiring harness...timing belt...and a bunch of other stuff....STI heads = DOHC...rs heads = SOHC.....it just dont work!

if the heads are shot take them off, rebuild em and upgrade valve train, get some delta regrinds and some porting done...you'll still ahve spent less than the cost of sti heads....

woootooeyhowj

YEAH!

sorry...continues
Thanks for the clarification, Jeff. :D

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,916 Posts
I wouldnt look at miles and ask if you can turbo it. Look at what condition the maintance is. A poorly cared for motor wont last very long. If it made it to 160k I wouldnt be afraid to turbo it. It isnt like turboing a stock 2.5 even new with 0 miles on a fresh rebuild will last that long. Turbo it till it blows up then rebuild.

·
Registered
Non-RS
1,294 Posts
With a $2,500 budget I'd say wait until your budget is higher. I mean really, it's your daily driver. I wouldn't cheap out on that.

What all is already done to your car? You could make it more fun in other ways besides adding power.

·
Registered
2002 WRX Wagon
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What all is already done to your car? You could make it more fun in other ways besides adding power.
So far I've got a 20mm RSB with WRX endlinks, OBX catback exhaust, and Borla headers. I plan on purchasing KYB AGX struts along with Prodrive P1 springs (not sure about tophats though) and when my brake pads go, I will probably upgrade them to Hawk HPS's and get Stainless Steel Brake Lines.

·
Registered
1995 S14 w/S14 SR
1,323 Posts
why not just do a ej20g swap.. its under $2500..
Because EJ20G < EJ205. Can you turbo upgrade an EJ20G easily? If your going to swap, for the sake of parts availability, go USDM...

Same with EJ20Ks... how the hell are you going to find a 20K O2 sensor?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts