Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 GM6 with 150k on the clock I was wanting to go turbo kit over swap due to the power you get at the wheels from the box for the price. Is that too many miles on the engine would I be wasting my time with turbo and should just go swap or ?. I have read of a lot a people on here going turbo but most of them have easily under 100k on the odometer.

·
Registered
2000 SRP RS
311 Posts
I would just swap it or save up for one. The general "rule of thumb" is that no matter what happens you will spend alot more with a turbo kit then you intend. Not saying that doesn't happen with a swap, but you do get a motor designed to be turboed out of a swap, instead of pushing a N/A motor past what it might have been designed to do.

·
Registered
BRP ver5 RSTi, Beater Leggy
370 Posts
I have a 2001 with only 59k on the clock, and I'm still doing swap over turbo.

Reliability was a factor at first, but with good EM nowadays, RS-Ts seem to live pretty long now. I know of one locally who's been on the AVO kit for around 40k now, still going strong, and he slapped on the kit around 85k iirc. Of course the AVO kit is like what, $4k? You could swap for that same amount if you're a DIYer. Not saying you have to spend 4k for a kit, but in the end you'll probably be spending that much or more on EM to keep a cheaper home built kit running reliably anyway.

What I mainly wanted was a broader power band (and more power up high) and much higher rev limit, which will make your gears seem quite a bit longer, thus I'm going the jdm swap route. You just can't get an 8k redline without dumping a ton of money into the N/A engine.

·
Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
2,610 Posts
with a good tune it should go to 200K easily..alot also has to do with your driving style too. if you bounce off the rev limiter 24/7 dont expect the bottom end to last too long. i think this is why i see alot of wrx's & sti's on nasioc with spun rod bearings..people cant lay off the redline and kaboom!

i know of a dude who had a turbo 98 L and he rebuilt the motor using ej22t pistons to boost it and i think it has like close to 40K miles on it with no problems whatsoever. and he only rebuilt the motor to do it the right way; using ej22t pistons.

·
Registered
2000 stage II+ S4/ 01 2.5RS-T
254 Posts
I have the AVO on my 01 rs with 75k and I would say do the swap because you will defenlty have to get a clutch and im sure the tranny wont hold up any longer on boost. So 3500 for turbo kit, 300-400 for clutch. Thats at 3800-3900 if you did the labor. If not you are looking close to the 5k range and still have to worry about a new tranny.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BDP
2,079 Posts
you don't have to swap the tranny when you swap motors......the stock RS tranny is better geared for the USDM WRX engine. I would say if you were originally going turbo then you should stick with it. Just pull your block and replace everything with internals better suited for turbo applications (like low compression pistons or ej22t pistons and rods etc.). Then replace pretty much everything else in your motor to make sure your water pump doesn't go out on you or something like that. After going through the full motor, it would be as reliable as an engine with 50k on the clock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts