Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
I would go with a 34 just because I like its smoothness, but I would imagine they would all be fine, its just a matter of how you treat the tranny...

What will you be using the car for?

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
You will need a better tranny if you ever plan on driving it "hard"
Not true, if you know how to properly shift. There are plenty of people who drive their RS trannies hard and don't have any problem.

So all you want is a fun daily, then I would go with a 34, a lot less lag and a better power range, from early in the RPM range until redline, something that the 20g has a hard time doing.

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
I would find a nice 18g! Or a 20g for more power. The ebay one scares me! Any IHI turbo like the vf34 will die hard on the top end. They spool really quick but are better on a two litre then a two five litre.

·
Wedges' Biggest Fan!
2000, subaru, 2.5 rs impreza,
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would find a nice 18g! Or a 20g for more power. The ebay one scares me! Any IHI turbo like the vf34 will die hard on the top end. They spool really quick but are better on a two litre then a two five litre.
That is what I heard. I wanted to make sure thats what you thought as well. :banana:

What price range should I be looking at for a 18 or 20g?

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
i got my 18G for 750$ shipped from gruppe-s......I love it.....

spools quick and holds boost perfectly to redline on my ej255 block.....

i would definetly not go smaller.....im kinda thinking i shoulda got the 20G lol

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
I am thinking of running with this set up.

Un-Equal
***Free Helix Up-Pipe***
$425 Shipped

MHI 18G Turbo
$749 Shipped

Non-Catted Downpipe $225 Shipped

Also wanting to get a Tial 38mm EWG.. Not positive on EWG..
sounds pretty good....but you can get a DP for much less than 225$ shipped...i picked up mine on here (or nasioc cant remember) for like 100$ shipped in good(but used) shape

ewg is fun :)

·
Registered
2001 Silver RS-T
482 Posts
The ewg can only be mounted on the up. It can be dumped to atmosphere or plumbed back into the downpipe.

·
Wedges' Biggest Fan!
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if you want all the performance gains an ewg has to offer you should dump it to atmosphere

That is what I planned on doing, I just wasnt sure where the EWG was mounted. I have seen mounting brackets on the up an down pipe. I wanted to be positive.

·
Wedges' Biggest Fan!
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am really debating on the turbo, I am almost wanting to stay with the STi turbo. Just because I am on a tight budget (not extremely tight).

Thats the only thing holding me up there.

Phil @ Element tunning suggest's I go with Modified WRX 800cc injectors. that is a little large from what I am told.. but he is the master for the hydra. :mamoru:

By going the STi turbo it would save me $3xx and let me focus on the little nickle and dime parts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts