Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what kind of container everyone uses to catch the old oil? Every time I change my oil, it comes out so fast that the oil goes over the side of the inlet and onto the driveway! I have tried another type of drain pan, but the opening wasn't quite big enough to work well, plus it leaks if it's in any other postion than flat! I tried a bucket, but the only one I have fills up before the car is empty.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Sorry bro, I use a lift and giant funnel to catch my oil (I'm in the Air Force and we have full auto-hobby shops at our disposal). You may want to try the Fram Sure Drain or get a large flat oil pan and then drain it afterwards into something more portable.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I use one of those triangle drain pans. It is more like a bucket than those crumby pan/container deals. Then I poor it into one of those big ass laundry detergent bottles and take it to down to the auto parts place and recycle it. If you take gear oil in there don’t tell em what it is. They get all lame and say that’s too thick and heavy for the guy to pump out of their tank. :checkit:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just usually drive my car up on a neighbor's lawn (random neighbor each time), and let the oil flow all over their perfectly manicured grass.

:D

Seriously, though, I just use one of those generic containers from a car parts store. Nothing special. Just make sure it has an opening with a wide enough diameter. They usually have a "mesh" type cover so that it catches your drain plug as the oil flows out.

gone

·
Registered
my00 2.5 rs white
330 Posts
yeah they're big and black and have a little nozzle for dumping, and it definately has a big enough hole to drain.. and it has a little oil filter holder to let it drain and shit.. its prety cheap i believe.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
i change my own oil, but i change my oil at jiffy lube. i don't trust those guys, so i pay them, and i change my oil myself. just kidding. my friends work at jiffy lube, i just go there and change my own oil.

jz

·
Registered
123 Posts
i got a tub thing at walmart...
it's black and rectangular
it has 2 holes in the top, and it's about 1.5x2.5 feet in size
it has a pour nozzle on one end w/ a cap
and each hole in the pan has a screw in plug, it's long so when the oil pours out real fast at first, it'll catch that at the end, and as it drains out and pours straight down it'll still catch that w/o moving it...

it holds maybe 10qt or something, i can get 2 oil changes out of it, then i pour the oil into milk jugs to take to manny moe and jack.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies! I plan on getting the Fumoto valve, but I don't know when that will be. For now, I'll probably just get one of the cheapie generic drain tubs from the parts store. That container from Wal-Mart sounds good, but the closest one is about 45 minutes away!:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
My dad has this oil pan that we have had forever and i think it is even older then me. but tell me how you like that Fumoto valve and take some pictures when you change your oil i have always wondered how they work.

Erik S.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Look here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=169

I have one on our VDC outback and I used it for the first time on that car last weekend. Changed the oil from start to finish in around 15 minutes no joke. I love it. I was able to get my round oil catch pan (~25" across) under the oil filter and drain valve at the same time. With the Outback I don't have to put the car on ramps it's up high enough and the H6 oil filter is above a slide away hatch in the front.

My RS is more of an ordeal since I have to, get it in the air on ramps, remove my front skid plate and mess around with the oil temp sending plug. Takes about 3X longer.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I've got one of those black plastic jobbers from my local car parts store, but make note:

DO NOT GET THE ONE WITH THE GIANT YELLOW OPENING ON THE SIDE!

It's like a little manhold cover, and it unscrews to expose a giant opening in the side of the container. The problem is that if you pick it up by the handle and carry it like you are supposed to, the weight of the oil is enough to pop the lid off. Guess what happens when it's full? Yeah, you guessed it.

I lost about 2 gallons of used oil on the floor in the back of a Kragen right when I was about to dump it into their recycle tank. Spent TWO HOURS cleaning their back room. They were really cool about it, but still, I felt horrible.

Now I have one that looks the same, but the yellow thing in the side is actually a removable funnel. You take this big, wide (12" or so) funnel out, and screw it onto an opening on the top side corner and then drain it. It is big enough to catch all the oil without overflowing, and the openings are normal sized (like silver dollar sized) so they don't pop open under pressure. Lemme know if you want a picture.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, it sounds like you have the same one I have that overflows! Could you post a pic? I think I also have the leaky one you are talking about, based on the description!:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts