Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 impreza brighton
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first off if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it. But not sure the rout that I want to take.

I have a 98 L with a 2.2 that's a winter beater, but I've been wanting to do something fun with it, so I was thinking of doing a build for it (semi budget just because the body has seen better days).

I was thinking of either going high compression na with nitrous, or low compression turbo. I plan to keep the bottom end a 2.2 so I'd probably swap heads either 1.8 or 2.5 depending on which way I go.

I was going to get a junk yard engine and rebuild the bottom end and freshen up the heads and a slight port and polish job. But yeah what do you guys think would be more fun? This would just be something to drive once in a while and take to the track. This isn't something I'm expecting to run 10's in just something fun

Thanks for any advice or input

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
494 Posts
I had a 1.8, slapped 2.2 Turbo heads on there, and proceeded to have my mind blown by wastegate boost pressure(7-8psi). Eventually went to a 2.2 bottom end with 2.5 DOHC heads, got the boost up to about 17psi... fastest car I've ever been in by a good margin.

Turbo will probably be more work, however;
More potential
Cool sounds
Never needs refilled
Fun diy project, if somewhat involved.

Slap some EJ25D or EJ20G heads on your 2.2 block with a stock WRX turbo, and I guarantee you will love it. Just gotta decide what you'll do for tuning.

Turbo all the way! Not that a high comp NA with NOS wouldn't be cool though...

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,881 Posts
You could also put a 2.5 block in under the 2.2 heads with cams. That is fun to drive. It makes tons of torque.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts