Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1999 RS hybrid CLOSED DECK!
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that the Lancer EVO7 has titanium pistons.... how do they make these...? god... i'd love to put some on my EJ22T hehehe

·
Registered
240 Posts
Interesting concept. However, Titanium has a pretty low flash point as it not as light as aluminum so I would be hesitant. Get a good set of aluminum slugs and you will be fine. Not to mention the Ti slugs probably cost about $5,000 or so.

Eric

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
flash point...? what tis this...?

also you know how they make them? forge? cast? press? i have no idea

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
Ti would prolly end up being forged...just get a good set of Forged Alumniums and you'll be fine...i can't see how you could use Ti as a piston. But hell they have done things i never thought they coul dwith cars.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I bet they were talking titanium rods. These are available for your projects, get out the big bucks. less recriprocating mass? knife edged crank? drool!

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
wow that repcirocating mass at it's least...that's great...but the rod set will rpolly run you like 3g's

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i think i have the video of the EVO 7 where the engineer is explaining why and how they used Ti as internals.... mmmm maybw i should go get a smoked evo7 block hheheh i beleiev they were both rods adn pistons... pretty kick ass...:biggest:

·
Registered
240 Posts
We've used Ti Rods before (About $5,000 a set). Honestly, anything more (and even just Ti rods) is overkill in a street engine.

If you want less reciprocating mass, get a lightweight flywheel. ANything lighter than that and the car will not be very drivable because of how quickly the rpm's will die between shifts.

Eric

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm dreaming... don't mind me,,, Ti pistons!!!!!! what did you use them in.... i was just like... dreaming... yunno.. like seam welding my gc8 and getting forged aluminium everything... hehe

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
actually been doing some research.. peaco will do titanium rods for 750 each... mmm:drool:

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
$750x4=3g's for fuggin rods!! not a DAMN chance.

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
oh sheeot...make that x8 for subarus(EJ20's) and x10 for EJ25's...hehe

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
heheh whatever i stick into my boosted block will stretch how i beat on it...

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
Off Topic-hey eric i might be building a small block for a friend do you have a good line on parts??

On Topic-i plan on putting together a block to handle to boost and be daily driven so i will run billet chromoly rods if they are available.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hndatch627 said:
Off Topic-hey eric i might be building a small block for a friend do you have a good line on parts??

I have the best line on any parts you want, especially small block chevy. Remember, that what I do. :) I like your sig. hehe

Eric

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
cool, i'll have to get a list together and see what we can work out.

oh hey have you tried to see if you can get crower rods for the 2.5's?? I know they are the ones who make em.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts