Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all is there a FAQ sheet anywhere? I am seeking new tires.
I think I like Pirelli P7000's any body here run em? Looking for a High Performance all season on the stock 16' wheels. Do a fair amount of off roading too.
Kevin

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
I did some research on them. I know personal experiences are better proof, but my research concluded that the Pirelli P7000's is a lighter tire, but isn't the better tire against it's competition. I used the tire ratings on www.tirerack.com and www.1010tires.com Their prices aren't easy on your wallet, also.

·
Registered
01 BRP RS
131 Posts
you might find some info at subarureview.com they have some personal ratings on a bunch of different tires.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
i also have never driven on them, but beyond the cost and the fact that it is a fairly old design so newer tires out perform them often, i've heard that they are quite noisy. i have no idea if they are or not, just passing on some info. now i can personally attest to the Dunlop SP5000s, which are my current street tire. at full tread depth, they're decent on pavement, quite good in rain, and good enough on snow and gravel. now that they are at half tread depth, a decent amount of dry grip is gone, but they're still good in the rain. gravel they are about the same and perhaps in a couple of months i can tell you how they are in the snow. they're a substantial amount cheaper then the pirellis as well.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
kfriel1, make you can now your decision, but don't take our words for it. :devil:

As for the SP Sport 5000, I have had mine for about 25000 miles and they are just as good as new. I occasionally do launches and tire-screeching turns, but I don't autocross. The tires are not bad at all with it's durability. Unfortunately, I'm planning to change tires for my next set. the Dunlops have gotten a little more pricey over the last year, and I am replacing them with Nitto NT-450 rubber. They are under $100ea and are also a high performance all season tire. I'll have to see if this tire will last as long as the Dunlop. I'll do the swap after the winter, unless if the Dunlops can't handle the snowy winter. or I can get a set of 17" rotas and have them slapped on in 215/45-17.

·
Registered
229 Posts
kickin_81,

Don't get caught in the snow with them NT-450's on. They are so bad in the snow it's scary. I almost dumped the car into a ditch twice and I was going very very slow. Sure, you can get them thru the snow but it's a white knuckled ride, believe me. They are like running hi-po summer tires in the winter. They may say all season but I don't belive it any more. I'm trying Toyo Proxes FZ-4's. Hopefully they will do a little better. I run my tires until the first snow then switch over to winter tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx for all the replies guys and congrats sp on being 2.0L!
Got my rally car graphics put on today. Looks badass! I think
I have narrowed it down to P7000's or the Dunlop P5000's thanx to you guys.
Kevin

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
Hey, I'm a... uhhh... Damnit, what the hell am I now.

Oh, a whore, that's what. hahaha.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Thanks for the info, spshultz. I think my next set of tires are narrowed down to Dunlop SP Sport 5000's :stupid:. What a great idea! Now, did you have a little chat with Nitto on your almost-incident? I'm sure they would've done something to please you.

kfriel1, just keep in mind that the Pirelli P7000 are a summer tire and the Dunlop SP sport 5000 are a high performance all seasons tire. They also wear out quicker than the Dunlops (again, that's what I researched on).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup least the one I read claims to be and is supposedly based on the "1995 Monte Carlo Intermidiate Tarmac tread" this is the Pirelli P7000 .Kelly is supposed to have a good one for a nice price too I hear.
Kevin

·
Registered
229 Posts
I did some research on the SP5000's a year ago for my wifes car. I found from most reviews that they are surprisingly good in the snow and there were a lot of reviews. I was going to put these on my car but the local Discount Tire store had 4 Toyo's left at an incredible price so I caved. One of these years I'll get SP5000's on my wifes car.

There were mixed reviews about dry weather handling so I don't put to much into those.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts