Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to convince my friend that tires are very important but he doesnt seem to feel the same way. He says on the dry there isn't much of a difference but on wet there is because of the tread pattern. Can someone shed some light on this.

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
There the most important part of your vehicle. With out a decent set of tires, your upgrades supsension/ braking and power can not travel efficently to the ground.

·
Registered
1999 RBP 2.5RS
210 Posts
Think about it this way. They're the first thing connecting the car to the ground. That and have him use a set of 420 treadwear tires and then go to azenis. He should notice the difference by then.

·
Registered
98 Red L 2.2L 5spd
343 Posts
Tires are very very important. Things to consider in buying a tire. Each tire isnt made of the same material. Some last longer, but wont grip as much. you have to understand that when braking in a car, or slowing down, its not how nice your brakes are that slows down the car, its the contact between rubber to road surface. more expensive tires heat up quicker and when they get warm they become more "sticky" to the road surface ie. R1 compound tires. while economics tires will take longer to warm up and become more slick cuz of the oil inside the tires. tread pattern is an ok topic for dicussion, also the side walls are very different on some tires. some are more firm then other allowing for more responsive handling in turns hence less flex on the side of the tire.

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
I have saved a lot of money by just running my rims bare! It's just rubber ~

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
667 Posts
Tires are one of the most important aspects of your car. A lot of people just think a tire is a tire, and to be honest, I was one of those people.

What changed my mind was when I started to become a michelin/bf goodrich/uniwobbles (uniroyal) certified expert or whatever the hell its called. Then I started to see everything that went into a tire and why a tire ISN'T just a tire. The fact is that the tires keep you on the road, help you turn, help you go, help you stop.

The technology that goes into all tires is mind blowing. The R&D is just as insane. A set of tires can make you or break you on the track.

For the sake of the argument, I'm going to use the tire I have to explain why a tire isn't just a tire.

BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S. This tire is a high performance all season tire. It has three different compounds in the tire. One for dry handing, one for wet and one for snow.

The inside of the tire is more silicon based and is for wet weather (hydroplaning starts from the center of the tire). This tire There are also an assload of siphoning spots throughout the tire to help move water. The design also features an aqua chute (if my mind serves me correctly).

The area right outside the center is for snow. I cant remember exactly what compound its made out of, but the design of the tread is for digging into snow.

The outside is for dry handing. The tread also fades out so that it can corner better.

Don't get me started on the inside of the tire.

The truth is that not all tires are created equal. Tread pattern has a lot to do with it, but it also has to do with temperature rating, treadwear rating, traction rating, internal consturction, external design and the compounds used in the tire.

It doesn't matter if you have the best suspension in the world, if your tires cant keep grip, what does it matter?

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
I won't quote that, because its too long, but

Billy FTMFW! :banana:
So uh, is r22b billy as well? I think you may have the wrong guy.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Hahaha..come look at my all-seasons I auto-crossed on once..
There are chunks missing out of them!
I autocrossed on winter tires and people there said you could see black "dust" coming off my tires when I was turning...

·
Premium Member
'04 Impreza 2.5 RS
693 Posts
I autocrossed on winter tires and people there said you could see black "dust" coming off my tires when I was turning...
That's a great way too need new winter tires this season...

I run dedicated summer and snow tires according to the seasons. It's a must for me, mostly for safety, partially for fun and the performance. I know STi owners that have ended up in ditches at first snowfall because they think the AWD will save them from the Potenzas on their gold BBS wheels. Wrong.

You get what you pay for, although there are some really solid bargain tires out there (dunlop, kumho, hankook). Just don't run a 50 buck a tire setup and try and think you have anything resembling grip, because you will end up in a ditch. Like the neon I saw on the interstate off-ramp today, on its side, in the mud.

·
Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,033 Posts
Tires are the most important. Obviously your friend has never had a decent set of tires if he doesn't know that.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
They are the only thing connecting the car to the ground.
Period.

Most people could care less about tires. These people may get lucky and never have a problem, but they also likely know very little about cars.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
That's a great way too need new winter tires this season...
It was when I was too poor to have a set of winter tires and summer tires and I just found a set of cheap tires.

I now run 98 Goldies w/ Avon Tech M500 for the summer
and stock 6-spokes with some winter tires I forget for the winter

Definitely worth getting two sets of wheels and tires. Makes switching from season to season much easier.

Back to original topic, YES TIRES ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ON YOUR CAR :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts