Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright boys and girls, I'm new to this autocrossing thing and I am told by just about everyone that new tires is the quickest way to better times, especially since I'm running on some pretty sucky Firehawk SH30's right now. Couple questions:
1) I'm interested in Azenis, but I don't wanna pay the price of getting a set of new wheels to put them on. Is it concievable to strap a set of them on for the Auto-X season, and then put my all seasons back on in the winter?
2) If I did that, would my all-seasons dry rot over the summer? How could I prevent that??
3) I'm assuming those Azenis are not gonna last me more than one summer, Am I right???
4) Finally, If this plan is not doable, and I need to get a new set of wheels.....THey gotta be cheap, so does anyone know where I can possibly get a set of used subaru 16's????

Thanks a bunch
Dave

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
1. I haven't used the Azenis but from what I have heard the are awesome.

2. You shouldnt have any problems with the tires. Try to keep them stored like in a basement or garage.

3. I don't know, sorry

4. Check the private classifieds here. And probably easier check i-club private class ifieds for WRX wheels.

:sunny:

·
Registered
2000 Blue Ridge Pearl Subaru I
294 Posts
Extra set of wheels? Check your local junk yard for late 80's-early 90's Dodge(Chrysler) wheels. $5-10 in good condition. You can get 15" or 16". Offset is just fine. A local guy here (Storm) runs them on his car and they work fine.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
with auto-xing, you would be lucky to get more then a season out of the azenis. but swapping back to allseasons for the winter isn't hard at all, especailly if you have access to a tire mounter and balancer. otherwise, it will cost you ~$50. another option on the used wheel point is to buy a set of legacy/forester 15"s for winter use. that way, the allseason/snow of your choice would be a bit cheaper as well. just a thought. my advice to you though, is to wait until next year to get better tires. i started in late summer as well (a couple of years ago) and ran the rest of the season on my re92s :eek: sure, they suck. but when i was just starting out, i sucked more. Dave, i'm glad you've started coming out to the events and i hope to see you at the next one. there is also a regional meeting tonight (monday) at culpeppers. i'll be there if you want to talk further. just be forwarned, auto-x turns you into a wheel collecting monster. i already have 3 sets, and that's not enough. come next spring, i may finally give in and get a fourth set. we'll see.

oh, i almost forgot. another tire option is to run a better allseason. i personally have the dunlop SP5000s and they are a good allseason (not great in the snow, but good enough for stl). they won't be anywhere near the azenis, but it would save you another set of wheels. but keep in mind, they will wear out quite quickly with auto-x abuse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts