Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for tire pressure recomendations for my car: '95 L AWD with stock suspension (which means no rear sway, plus stock shocks and struts). I'm running on 14" Falken Azenis that have a max pressure of 51 psi. if I remember correctly. I have been running about 42 psi. all around but have been told that I may be able to air up my tires somehow to help compensate for the lack of a rear sway. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!:)

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I almost forgot; I am looking to get pressure recomendations for autocrossing-I run on WRX 16" wheels for my daily driving with those :curse: RE-92's. I must say I was shocked to see that the treadwear rating on the Azenis is more than the RE-92's!

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody? Please? I have an autocross tomorrow-I could really use some help here!;)

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Yeah, with those Azenis don't run so much pressure! Run around 30-34 pounds and you'll be much better off to begin with.

Then, to compensate for a lack of (or crappy) rear sway bar, right higher pressures in front - by like 5-8 pounds. I generally would run 36 front and 30 rear and that worked well. The Azenis performance will suffer with pressures much higher than that.

Remember to check the pressures after each run. They can increase by as much as 5 pounds, throwing you off. :D

(BTW, I am running the Azenis 225/50/17's so I know what I have seen. Higher pressures reduce the contact at the edge of the tire - less contact = less traction.)

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Hopefuly you get this in time....

Loosen up the front strut bolts (lower) and heave the knuckle all the way up&in and tighten back up. Repeat for the other side. You should have close to -1.1* camber and a bit of toe out. Just what you want for autocross.

If the sidewall is stiff enough up front, mark the tire edge and keep dropping the pressure up front 'til they roll over. Then go up by 2-3psi. Leave the rears way up and you should have all the oversteer you want.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to both of you. Storm, do you mean I should not follow James' advice on 36 front/30 rear? I will try about anything as far as tire pressures to compensate for my shit stock suspension and no rear sway bar, but I am taking a week long trip in my car on Monday, so I really don't want to mess with the suspension-plus, I wouldn't trust myself to do that! Hopefully you can reply before morning. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts