Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just pulled the cover off a 2011 outback... and no matter how many times or hours i spend turning the crank none of the camshaft marks line up top when the crank mark is at top... what could have done this? car ran just fine its off almost 30-45 degrees retarded at the crank from when the cams are at 12...
I did tap the starter to break the harmonic bolt loose but ive done that on many cars and it never threw out timing like this, is that possible?

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
296 Posts
Do your intake cam sprockets have multiple paint marks? My 07 Impreza that just finished an engine rebuild on had a white and a red paint line on both the intake cam sprockets. The red ones had a cast recess in them leading me to believe the white ones were placed by whoever performed a timing belt service previously. I used the marks with the cast marks and the car runs perfectly. Using the white marks caused initial crank timing mark to be retarded, possibly 10 degrees? Not sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there are no paint lines on either of the sprockets just on the crank, there are 2 sets of lines on the belt, if it jumped timing i would like to know for sure before i just replace the belt.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
726 Posts
Here's a link to the subaru outback forum with good pics. 02 Outback Timing Belt Questions

Notice that the "notches" and not arrows are being used for timing. Were you possibly using the arrows?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
726 Posts
Then the timing must be off, if you can't get the notches to line up every couple revolutions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It ran fine before pulling the timing cover off thats whats messed me up. Notches wont line up but the belt markings do.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
296 Posts
It ran fine before pulling the timing cover off thats whats messed me up. Notches wont line up but the belt markings do.
I've had a Suby or 2 in the past jump timing by a tooth or 2 and still run properly - not ideal but there seems to be a degree of tolerance on the EJ engines as long as its caught and rectified in time as far as valve damage, at least in my experience. 30-45 degrees, however, seems like a lot. As far as the comments on the Outback forum that state, "...Subaru doesn't use TDC to set timing..," boy, I really don't think I'd much faith in that comment.

·
Banned
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,248 Posts
Once the belt is installed, the marks on the belt itself are absolutely useless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts