Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got back from the subaru dealership. the service guys told me that the timing belt needs to be replaced around 60K which i'm coming up on. any truth to this? and how hard is it to do myself?
thanks,
brian

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
60k sounds about right for a timing belt, to be on the safe side. If you're mechanically inclined then it should be pretty straight forward to DIY but it will be time consuming if you're doing it alone. Make sure you have a good torque wrench and the factory torque settings before you attempt the procedure.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does haynes make a manual for us, or do i need a Factor Servie Manual?

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
see, i swore i read that too. maybe i should get off my lazy ass and go get the manual out of the car.
brian

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I was joking, kind of. The DOHC cars have a tendancy to kill headgaskets, also the DOHC motor can se alot of damage if a belt breaks. That is one advantage to the SOHC motors, if the belt breaks there is no damage done to the motor.

Sorry, i'm not trying to scare you or anything.

sean

·
Registered
MY00 RS/STi
955 Posts
Really, so you can have your timing belt break on a SOHC motor and you don't have catastrophic engine failure? That's awesome if it's true! :biggest:

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
TMRRALLY said:
I was joking, kind of. The DOHC cars have a tendancy to kill headgaskets, also the DOHC motor can se alot of damage if a belt breaks. That is one advantage to the SOHC motors, if the belt breaks there is no damage done to the motor.

Sorry, i'm not trying to scare you or anything.

sean
Really? I thought the SOHC was an interference motor, too.:confused:

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI, 08 SpecB
144 Posts
SOHC motors. 105k
DOHC motors. 60k
The cams need to be held in place with a holder while removing the belt on a twin cam motors or the cams will release the tension potentially bending the valve's. SOHC motors are not tense therefore you can take the belt off whenever you want to. If you arewnt mechanically inclined or have the tools just take it to the dealer. DONT go aftermarket. I have done many valves on Subarus due an Aftermarket place messing up (hell even semi reputable tuning shops as well) and bending valves.
Didnt mean to scare ya but I believe in dealer first, Yourself second, Kid sister third and way down the line at #20 aftermarket places( ofcourse its thanks to them that I get so much customer pay work :cool: )
Good luck,
Ben

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
didn't kill those HG's till about 120K. and then drove on them blown for another 10K. :banana:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts