Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
'98 2.5 RS
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(on a '98 DOHC) so get this: i changed the cam oil seals (all 4) and crank oil seals, water pump and timing belt today. i re-did the timing belt several times and the same result; the crank line lines up with the block, the passenger side cams line up with each other and the marks on the block, the lines on the timing belt line up with all the marks on all the sprocket (all 4 cams and crank) BUT the cam sprockets on the drivers side dont line up with one another by HALF a tooth. WTF!!!!!!!?????

ill add pics when i can find the cord for my camera.

· Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
9,088 Posts
The mark on the belt may be a little off. Is it an OEM belt?

I would put it on making that belt mark off by half a tooth and release the tensioner. Once it sets the tension, the timing marks should all line up. Sometimes they won't line up until you pull the pin on the tensioner and hand crank it a few times.

· Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
2,001 Posts
You could always count the teeth on the belt between the cam gears...I think there is a spec in the SM about that...52 teeth I want to say but don't take my work for it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.