Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Impreza 2.5rs
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright it's time to do the timing belt on my subie before it decides to break. I want to go with all oem parts because I know they are well made quality. Or if there is a better aftermarket kit out there that is better than oem. I wanna keep this motor in as best shape as possible because I don't plan to do the full sti swap anytime soon

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,603 Posts
If I had a dollar for every time that question comes up... ;)

Here's what id recommend: buy a parts kit with all japanese made bearings.

Looks like gates doesn't do that any more. Aisin makes a kit that comes with the water pump and (reportedly) all japanese bearings. I'd either go with Aisin or OEM for those parts.

·
Registered
00 RS cpe, 01 RS cpe, 05 3.0 R
188 Posts
Alright it's time to do the timing belt on my subie before it decides to break. I want to go with all oem parts because I know they are well made quality. Or if there is a better aftermarket kit out there that is better than oem. I wanna keep this motor in as best shape as possible because I don't plan to do the full sti swap anytime soon
I am looking at a Gates timing kit ending in "N" ,which is supposed to denote OE parts- everything I can see ( except the belt ) is made in Japan. If you are going to change the water pump, I recommend a genuine Subaru or an Aisin .

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,761 Posts
I went RCM, since they make sure the kit has Koyo, NTN, and NSK OE parts. They have different belts for the kits. Dayco, OEM, HKS, etc. I went Dayco. They're OEM, just not OEM for Subaru.

·
Registered
2000 RS
7 Posts
I've used Gates kits on a couple of my vehicles. A Honda Odyssey and my 2000 RS. Everything seems good so far. Gates are a reputable supplier in my experience.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've used Gates kits on a couple of my vehicles. A Honda Odyssey and my 2000 RS. Everything seems good so far. Gates are a reputable supplier in my experience.
I just don`t recommend any of the Chinese made water pumps supplied in kits - OE pumps last well past the TB interval, Chinese pumps , not so much .

·
Registered
188 Posts
FWIW , I`ve been in the parts business for many , many years , and do not recall a single belt failure , in the last 30 years or so , with Gates or Dayco belts. This is not new technology , and the materials used have only improved . This is a system- all the components are designed to replaced at the same time .

·
Registered
2000 OBSTi
520 Posts
It's not the belt that's the problem in the Gates kit. Its the multiple hard parts that they used to get from good suppliers that in recent years are more from the lowest bidder.

·
Registered
2000 RS
7 Posts
ok, ok, Gates are rubbish - gee. My experience does suggests otherwise but I'll keep an eye on things.
I do acknowledge and agree with comments about the confidence you get using Japanese manufactured bearings.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My original post mentioned Gates kits with "N" on the end of the part number . The "N" differentiates it from the standard kit by having ( in all the ones I`ve seen ) Japanese sourced components ( except the belt ) . I have used these kits in both the RS`s , our Outback XT, my Legacy , and about to use in the wife`s Forester . I never compromise in my parts selection . Use what you will , I don`t own stock in Gates .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts