Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the timing belt guide on manual trans 2.5 need to have more clearance on leading side, mine is rubbing at 19 thou on both sides. book says 19 at the least this was all I was able to acheive overall. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5 Rs
3,712 Posts
Junk it, it's not needed. It's put there for shipping purposes. They had cases where they were left in geat in shipping and I guess from bouncing around or something jumping timing. People claim they have to be there but there is no actual proof of this. You can buy a super cool one from companies for $75 bucks. Just another thing people don't need to spend money on. I'd probably only ever run one if I went to the point where I had crazy cams in my car with a pretty high hp application. Right now I'm at 350 whp and haven't had my car "mysteriously" jump timing.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS <Red>
1,197 Posts
Junk it, it's not needed. It's put there for shipping purposes. They had cases where they were left in geat in shipping and I guess from bouncing around or something jumping timing. People claim they have to be there but there is no actual proof of this. You can buy a super cool one from companies for $75 bucks. Just another thing people don't need to spend money on. I'd probably only ever run one if I went to the point where I had crazy cams in my car with a pretty high hp application. Right now I'm at 350 whp and haven't had my car "mysteriously" jump timing.

Listen man, not trying to shoot down your post, but the timing belt guide does have a purpose on manual transmission cars. It's not just "junk", and jumping timing is not "mysterious". It's not going to jump timing if the car is running. However, if you park the car in a low gear, such as first, without the parking brake on, you have the potential to jump timing.

I have proof that the timing belt guide needs to be there. I was rocking my car while it was parked in first gear, no parking brake (I was bouncing on the trunk lid). What do you know? The timing jumped 2 teeth because I didn't have a timing belt guide.

I now have a "super cool" billet timing belt guide in place so that I never have to reset my timing for no reason other than the damn belt jumping timing.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Mmmmm yeah, I'd say it definitely serves a purpose. Does it work? Who knows. I've seen many many motors skip teeth and the guide did nothing to prevent it. Would I remove it? Definitely not. Subaru engineers thought enough of it to have one, I wouldn't be the one to throw it away and say it's not needed. It's there for a reason. It's easy to install and doesn't hinder anything else, and it certainly can't hurt anything, so leave it. Maybe it'll save your motor one day, maybe not, but I would install it and use the FSM as mentioned above for proper specs.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Listen man, not trying to shoot down your post, but the timing belt guide does have a purpose on manual transmission cars. It's not just "junk", and jumping timing is not "mysterious". It's not going to jump timing if the car is running. However, if you park the car in a low gear, such as first, without the parking brake on, you have the potential to jump timing.

I have proof that the timing belt guide needs to be there. I was rocking my car while it was parked in first gear, no parking brake (I was bouncing on the trunk lid). What do you know? The timing jumped 2 teeth because I didn't have a timing belt guide.

I now have a "super cool" billet timing belt guide in place so that I never have to reset my timing for no reason other than the damn belt jumping timing.
Kinda sounds like the same scenario as being shipped. Bet you learned your lesson. Now that you have the super cool billet one I'm sure you stopped jumping up and down on your trunk like a 5 year old? Honestly I don't know many people who do that. For people over 5 it's a waste. I've seen plenty of wrx's jump timing with stock guides. It is usually a mystery. But no it's not needed for normal people.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS <Red>
1,197 Posts
Kinda sounds like the same scenario as being shipped. Bet you learned your lesson. Now that you have the super cool billet one I'm sure you stopped jumping up and down on your trunk like a 5 year old? Honestly I don't know many people who do that. For people over 5 it's a waste. I've seen plenty of wrx's jump timing with stock guides. It is usually a mystery. But no it's not needed for normal people.

I guess you just know everything.

Smart ass comment is a smart ass comment, I suppose.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS <Red>
1,197 Posts
O.P., my factory manual says this:

1.0±0.5 mm (0.039±0.020 in)

..For the clearance of the timing belt guide. I recall using a 0.040 in feeler gauge to space it out and it worked just fine for mine.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I guess you just know everything.

Smart ass comment is a smart ass comment, I suppose.
Well I've built my fair share of engines. None gets them put back on. Subaru also doesn't put them on auto's. If it was nesicery it would be on all cars. They don't factor in monkey jumping on the trunk I guess.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS <Red>
1,197 Posts
Well I've built my fair share of engines. None gets them put back on. Subaru also doesn't put them on auto's. If it was nesicery it would be on all cars. They don't factor in monkey jumping on the trunk I guess.

Are you here to give your shitty ass comments? Or to help the O.P with his problem?

You've built your fair share of engines, but you skipped spelling class.

The autos don't have them because when in park, the trasmission will not rotate the crankshaft, and cause the timing belt to slip.

Just think about it for a minute.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.