Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About six months ago I was driving home at about 1am and I pulled up to a red light. I noticed a car two lanes over in a left turn lane. As the light turned green I started through the light when I noticed the other car shoot across two lanes and fly up behind me. It was a cop. Since I was only going 25mph through the light and hadn't even built up speed yet I had no idea what was going on. Anyway the cops walks up and starts to tell me that he pulled me over for my washer LED's and that "only cops are allowed to have blue lights on vehicles.......and uh fire police too I guess" and then proceeded to give me a $40 fine even though I live in pa and the ticket was in md. I just paid it because I didn't want to go through all the bullshit...... I really bet someone thinks I'm a cop when i pull up behind them with my .........how'd he put it "intense blue lights". ARRGGHH.

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
scrubaru said:
... he pulled me over for my washer LED's...
Yup, in addition to being distasteful, they're also illegal. I wish cops would start handing out 'hyper-blinker' and 'Altezza taillight' citations soo...

-s-

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
I got pulled over by a cop before because I had blue-ish lights for my corner lens. He said that the bulbs are too blue and would cause other drivers to lose attention on the road. :rolleyes: I couldn't believe it, it's a 12 watt corner bulb! I went to talk to a judge and he dismissed the ticket. I wasn't gonna pay around $40 for a reason like that.:boxer: In any case for dumb reasons you get ticketed, go fight it. It took me less than 30 min. Even if it isn't dumb, fight it anyways. Correct what you did wrong and tell the judge "honestly" what happened.

Scrubaru, if you actually fought it you would've gotten it dismissed. It sucks to get pulled over and get ticketed.

·
Registered
410 Posts
only cops are allowed to have blue lights on vehicles.......and uh fire police too I guess
He is absolutely correct. Blue lights (and forward facing red lights) are only allowed for emergency vehicles (in most states anyway...not sure how much of the nation is under that law).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Re: Re: Ticketed

Warp3 said:
Blue lights (and forward facing red lights) are only allowed for emergency vehicles (in most states anyway...not sure how much of the nation is under that law).
According to the state statue (in Wi and most other states), it is illegal to emit any light color other than amber from the rear, and the OEM headlight setup (yellow/green) that the vehicle came with in addition to OEM or aftermarket AMBER/ORANGE corner lamps. Obviously hivalue vehicles with HIDs from factory are legal.

Thus, anytime you emit a different light on a PUBLIC road (they dont care about private property mind you), you are infracting.

Thus, no:
- Underglow
- "blue" headlights or any other color headlamp or corner lamp
- "HotWirez" or any othe interior illuminescent
As for tail lamps go, most states have a 500ft rule. If the taillamps reflect off a reflective surface (i.e. a mirror) 500 ft away, they are legal. Thus, Altezza's are not legal since they succumb to a "light impotence".

Hope this helps
-C.D.

·
Registered
191 Posts
sorry but i dont have sympathy for you, neither would i if your altezza lights got you pulled over, or if some cop pulled you over for a type r badge.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I personally think the red and blue LED's should be illegal to sell since so many people do not realize they are illegal. :rolleyes:

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
I live in LA and see blue lights on cars all the time, even driving around swarms of cops. Strange that people get away with this, as it is illegal as hell. Same as loud exhaust, slammed to 3 inches off the ground, etc. The only reason I can think of is that the cops around here like to pull over older mature people instead of kids. I have heard from a cop aquaintance that they are instructed to only give a ticket if they are very certian the person will pay it! Also, cops are affraid of getting shot. Some people won't think twice about firing at a cop if it means they won't get cited. My mom is a granny driver and has gotten 2 tickets in the last year. I drive aggressive and I have not been bothered in that time. What a world we live in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I doubt that most cops would pull you over just for questionable lighting. Most just use it as an excuse for trying to find other things to ticket or arrest you for. Same thing with exhausts. Just an excuse to check your registration, inspection sticker, whether you've been drinking, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't stand seeing people with blue and red lights anywhere on the front of their car. The other night I had someone behind me with bright blue headlights and it really was distracting trying to drive with something like that behind me. I kept thinking I had a cop or something behind me and I kept wanting to look in the mirror at it. There is a reason for the colors of lights on cars...anything other than what is supposed to be there will confuse drivers because they're not used to it. Its best to have white headlights, amber parking lights and turn signals, and red brake lights, nothing else.

PCSR: What does that have to do with this thread? Looks like you're trying to advertise a product and get some credit for it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
morpheus said:
Most just use it as an excuse for trying to find other things to ticket or arrest you for. Same thing with exhausts. Just an excuse to check your registration, inspection sticker, whether you've been drinking, etc.
not trying to target anyone here but, STAY LEGAL. i don't mind them pulling this crap honestly. think about it... we drive some badass cars that just about everybody looks at and we spend money on making it even better. some of us don't have alarms yet and our cars can be easily hot-wired. i like knowing that if i have an exhuast that cops will notice my car much more and realize (or even check) if it's been stolen or not. i don't like that i'll get noticed more easily for speeding though:rolleyes:
juz my .02

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
OK, there's a ton of misinformation in this thread, regarding state statutes. The only way to know for SURE, is to look up your states long statute, that most likely will not be totally black and white. I know because I've done it, on this exact issue.

My cousin gave me his car a few months back to sell for him. During that time, I also took it upon myself to get as much use from the fart piped, blue light special. Yes, it had blue sidemarkers, and green corners. However, since he wanted to remain legal (yet still get hasseled), he had retained the amber turnsignals, on the very front of the bumper. After picking through much state statute on the subject, it was revealed that this IS legal, despite having a cop tell me otherwise. They don't always know the law, to the letter. That's why we have courts.

I also had a "driving without license in possession" ticket dismissed, without even going to my courtdate, because I am smart enough to check statute. Agian, it was a huge 6 paragraph ruling, but 3 paragraphs after saying it is illegal, and you will get a ticket, I found a paragraph stating you can have the ticket dismissed, by showing the cop your license, within 7 days. Even with that, the cop refused to throw it out. A quick walk over to the court, and a 60 second talk with the judge, out of court, she praised me for knowing the law, and sent my dismissal in the mail, the next day. I saved it.

Bottom line, read your state's statute. It's simple to find online, at any state's website. It's saved me pleanty of $$, and days in court, listening to bullshit.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Before you go off, and think you're all badass for knowing some obscure crap that no one in court cares about, and want to go shoving it in everyone's face, just be very casual about it. I simply have a copy of the statute, and use the same line, everytime. "Your honor, I know that statute XX.XX.XX.XX-XXX states blah, blah, blah. I could request a trial, but I would not want to waste the court's time with a trial, on something I know will be dismissed." Man, judges eat it up when you "don't want to waste the court's time."

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Forgot one more thing....

Gay ass lights all over a crap ass car, and a 4" fart pipe shouldn't get you a ticket. Instead, cops should call their cop buddies, drag you oversized pants wearing ass out of the vehicle, and lay the smackdown upon your candy ass. After that, being that your pants have certainly fallen around your knees, they should take those Altezas, turn em sideways, and shove em up your CANDY ASS!!! If you smmmmeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllLLLLLLLLL.....

Sorry to go WWF on it, but damn, all that flashy shit is just stupid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts