Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a ticket for my exhaust being too loud. "27151VC / Amp Exhaust" to be exact. Not correctable box checked.

I have had this setup ( 5Zigen Fireball, catback ) for almost two years and this is the first time i have had any problems with the law.

Anybody have any experience fighting one of these tickets? I got the ticket in Moorpark, the COP said that people whos houses backup to Tierra R. have been complaining about the noise from the cars going by. Oh brother.

Any help?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
If you still have your stock exhaust, can't you just through it back on, go to some sort of inspection center, point at it and say fixed, then go back home and put your real exhaust back on?

·
It's not a GC
07 WRX Wag0nz
9,387 Posts
I had the same ticket except that it was given to me by a CHP officer on the 101! basically what I did just paid the ticket it was $77.00 for the fee...I was going to fight it but it turns out it was too much of a pain in the ass...so finally I got the bail in the mail and paid it off...you might want to find out how he was able to determine the Decibel output coming out of your exhaust...also if you have proof that your exhaust does not exceed the legal limit then you might actually have a chance to beat the COP....

hope this helps

Frank

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
yea, i heard that if it's catback, cops can't mess with you unless it passes 9xdb. it's ninety something. i forgot the number.

jz

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Impreza L Sedan 2.
650 Posts
JZ oo7 said:
yea, i heard that if it's catback, cops can't mess with you unless it passes 9xdb. it's ninety something. i forgot the number.

jz
95dB

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
www.ticketassassin.com

You've got a 30% chance the officer won't even send in his statement, and if that happens you win by default.

I'm speaking from experience here: my officer didn't send in his papers, so justice was served.
http://forums.i-club.com/forums/sho...threadid=180070
http://forums.i-club.com/forums/sho...threadid=180059

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of ( )1 the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). ( )2 No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Learn your stuff and fight the BS. After spending 15 minutes researching the topic, you'll know more about the law and exceptions than the cop who cited you. I think cops just have a little notebook, and on the 'imports' page it says "27151=modified exhaust" , probably right next to the tinted window law or some crap.

Good luck,
-scott-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts