Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS "RuSTI"
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after my old engine blew a rear main and killed my 2.5rs about a year and a half ago I've finally gotten around to putting a new engine in my car, however I've hit an impasse, the transmission has a input about repair sleeve on it, it's not like any of the kits I've seen for sale and neither stock, nor the Toyota throw out bearing that so many of the repair kits seem to use fit.
As far as I can tell the new o.d. of the shaft is 1.35 inches, any ideas?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It appears to be this repair kit

Any idea what bearing could be used to replace the one it comes with?

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
218 Posts
I've run into the same thing on my 07 Impreza Outback. The input shaft sleeve isn't held on by set screws like the others Ive seen. I have tried getting this sleeve off several times but to no avail. It seems to me that if the OD of the sleeve is bigger then the inside diameter of the bearing is smaller and probably has fewer rollers in the sleeve. I rwally want to get this damn thing off to see hiw bad the input shaft is. This is my 8th super high mileage Suby and I have yet to see an input shaft so worn or etched that it needed one of these sleeves.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
218 Posts
Just checked out your amazon link - that apoears to be the same or similar kit that was in my car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've run into the same thing on my 07 Impreza Outback. The input shaft sleeve isn't held on by set screws like the others Ive seen. I have tried getting this sleeve off several times but to no avail. It seems to me that if the OD of the sleeve is bigger then the inside diameter of the bearing is smaller and probably has fewer rollers in the sleeve. I rwally want to get this damn thing off to see hiw bad the input shaft is. This is my 8th super high mileage Suby and I have yet to see an input shaft so worn or etched that it needed one of these sleeves.
It's the only one I've ever seen with a pressed on/glued on sleeve, it's annoying bc as far as I can find it's only the off-brand one that fits and the one that was one the car when I bought it failed within 15k miles

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
218 Posts
Shit - glued or pressed on?! That really fucking sucks if that's the case. It's the last thing I need to address before I put the fully rebuilt motor back in. I bought thus as a winter beater. The kid I bought from had receipts for a clutch replacement. That was less than 35k ago. I was planning a rebuild / refresh due to the vehicle mileage and slowly accumulating parts when suddenly one day the throwout bearing was screaming. Clutch had been slipping a bit for a while. I ysually get 100k easy out of an OEM NA clutch so this really pisses me off. The TOB was completely frozen and cocked at an angle in the race. The whole sleeve and clutch fork pivot point were bone dry - no lube of any sort, and the flywheel had scorch marks all over the face. Sorry - don't mean to steal you thunder here - just comparing notes and ranting after all the dumbfuckery I'm still sorting out with this car!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shit - glued or pressed on?! That really fucking sucks if that's the case. It's the last thing I need to address before I put the fully rebuilt motor back in. I bought thus as a winter beater. The kid I bought from had receipts for a clutch replacement. That was less than 35k ago. I was planning a rebuild / refresh due to the vehicle mileage and slowly accumulating parts when suddenly one day the throwout bearing was screaming. Clutch had been slipping a bit for a while. I ysually get 100k easy out of an OEM NA clutch so this really pisses me off. The TOB was completely frozen and cocked at an angle in the race. The whole sleeve and clutch fork pivot point were bone dry - no lube of any sort, and the flywheel had scorch marks all over the face. Sorry - don't mean to steal you thunder here - just comparing notes and ranting after all the dumbfuckery I'm still sorting out with this car!
nah man its fine, i feel your pain, i was informed by the guy i bought it from, after i bought it, that it was a rebuild project a high school auto shop pulled out of a junkyard and im still paying out the ass for the dumb shit they did, the input shaft sleeve was literally rusted and the TOB sounded like nails on a chalkboard

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
218 Posts
Yeah I've never seen danage this extensive to literally are parts of the clutch system - the only thing that still seems functional is the actual clutch disc, if you can believe that! Any one got any experience with removing one of these sleeves? Please chime in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I've never seen danage this extensive to literally are parts of the clutch system - the only thing that still seems functional is the actual clutch disc, if you can believe that! Any one got any experience with removing one of these sleeves? Please chime in.
I've not touched these before, but my best recommendation would be try and carefully use a dremel to cut it off, or torch the shit out of it and pull it off. i'm gonna head to a parts store tomorrow and see if i can match anything up to fit the sleeve because the only way i can get one online is waiting a nice two weeks for it, and i'm not willing to do that with summer getting close to the end.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
218 Posts
I've torched it a few times but no joy. My next step was to either dremmel or attempt to use some sort of a puller. There is a lip at the base clise to the tranny. It'd be nice if there were a safe place to pry behind the sleeve but I'm nit goin there. With the shit luck I've been having with this car thus far I'll probably end up braking my transmission

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've torched it a few times but no joy. My next step was to either dremmel or attempt to use some sort of a puller. There is a lip at the base clise to the tranny. It'd be nice if there were a safe place to pry behind the sleeve but I'm nit goin there. With the shit luck I've been having with this car thus far I'll probably end up braking my transmission
Yeah.............gonna recommend not using a puller or a prying device to pull it out, it doesn't like it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't comment on the longevity, but can verify that both the throwout bearing kit, and the full clutch kit fit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts