Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attempted to fit the intercooler I plan on upgrading to the other day, and it doesn't quite fit. It's from a '98 WRX. I'm a bit short on space, so I'm going to have to trim the lip on the intercooler outlet, but I doubt that will be enough. I'm wondering if I would be able to cut some of the inlet off of the throttle body to get more clearance? I forgot to check how much space there is before the throttle plate, and it's been too cold to go back outside, so I don't know how much I have to work with, but that's about my only option. There is another thing I could do, but I would really rather not: I could somewhat flatten the endtank by the firewall, probably with a rubber mallet or something, in order to get it to fit, but like I said, I'd rather not. I guess there is one other option, and that would be to get an older intercooler, but this one is damn near perfect!

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
The intercooler should fit. Have you moved your A/C lines and the wires that attach to the firewall?

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The intercooler will almost fit if I don't have the y-pipe on. with the y-pipe on, it's going to take some work. I moved the clips that hold the wires along the firewall, but I left the wires there. The clips were in the way, but the wires didn't seem to be. I did not move the A/C lines, but I did remove the control module, strut bar, current throttle body piping, and the catch can I mounted near there. The biggest problem I could see was that the firewall angles outward as it comes up, in order to support the wiper cowl. The weather is supposed to get above freezing next week here, so I'm going to plan on trying again. I'll have to see about moving those things.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking the problem is one of two things. I think either there is something else I need to move that I'm not seeing, or else I just don't have enough clearance between the firewall and throttle body on my 1.8.:confused:

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
When I test fit my WRX I/C I moved all the wires from the firewall to under the "dogbone" and I moved the A/C lines as well. The clips that you're talking about can be slid out of the way but I took mine off too. The I/C outlet should be trimmed 1/4" (basically the lip) and all should be well. Its tight but it'll fit

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went outside and took a quick look at my firewall. It looks like I'll have a little more space if I move the wires completely out of the way, so I'll try that. I think if I didn't have brake lines running across there, it wouldn't be too much of a problem. Also, I'll try moving the A/C lines but I don't want to bend them too much. I may also have to disconnect the coolant lines for my turbo. Thanks! :biggest:

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I decided to tackle it again today. I cut the lip off of the intercooler and moved everything out of the way. It did pretty much fit, but it is an extremely tight fit. The intercooler basically rests on the firewall; there's really no space between them, and the outlet on the intercooler and the inlet on the throttle body don't exactly line up, either. Also, I'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to fit, but it was really tough to close the hood because of the lines for the washer fluid. I'm really starting to think that I will have to cut a little bit off of the throttle body if I want to use this intercooler. I'll also have to reroute all the wires and hoses, but it does look like it'll clear the EGR valve without a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts