Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the STI and EVO are arriving in north america in 2003.
Subaru took baby steps. They had the RS for 4 years,
then the WRX came. then in a year the top of the line STI.
Mitsubishi on the other hand brought over the Lancer
with something like 130 horsepower, front wheel drive,
and a body kit with some mention of rallying. it seems to be selling ok.
Then they will bring the super-duper fire breathing EVO.
Will Mitubishi be able to pull it off and sell tons of the EVO
here in North america? When it took years for Subaru to persuade people here that they could build a high performance car and now the WRX are hot.
Or could it be that Mitsubishi will ride on the success
that the WRX is accepted as a popular performance car?

Hope I made some sense.

Sunny

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
i have been contemplating this myself, subaru has the US sales to hold it up but mistu is in SO much financial trouble that there is NO way they could afford a blunder like this. I guess only time will tell but to be honest they already promoted the SHIT out of the EVO only to have it NOT see US shores so who knows how many people that has disuaded.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can't afford not to

Actually, with the popularity of affordable sportcompacts and Mitsu's financial trouble, Mitsubishi could not afford to NOT bring the EVO in some form to the US. If they can deliver a WRX type spec car for the same price range they would probably sell plenty. Look at all the people who never owned a Subaru that bought WRX's.:rolleyes: A great many fly by night WRX owners would proably drop their Suby for an EVO just to be in the latest, most popular ride. Mitsubishi can thank Subaru for doing all the test marketing and research with the RS and the WRX when the EVO arrives, Subaru took the risk first and took all the risk.:rolleyes:

But I'm glad Subaru took the risk!! I love my RS!!!!!!!!:sunny: :biggest: :biggest: :D :drool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts