Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GC8 WRX Hybrids...

I would like to know how much it actually cost you to do all of the converting and such in order get a wrx engine to fit in the GC8. Or maybe how much it is to install a turbo, but i like the idea of GC8 WRX hybrid better

i was thinking i might be able to find a 2000 2.5RS, a good cheap one, and then makng it a wrx hybrid.

Pros:
- if i could find a cheap GC8 and then install a wrx engine (which i read somewhere is about 7k with installation), it can come out to be cheaper than a new WRX.

- insurnace should also be a lot lower than a brand new WRX

- and of course it would have a better power to weight ratio!

Cons:
- might be WAY too much trouble to go through and would be much easier to just get a WRX

- can be quite difficult to find a good used RS, and also an old WRX engine

What do you guys think?
Can anyone give anymore insight into this for me?

thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are quite a few people in BAIC (Bay Area I-Club) who have done this conversion. The costs range between 7 and 8k.

I think it's easy to get a used WRX engine...with all the idiots that buy these thinking they are indestructable, salvage yards often get WRX's in. I plan on doing something like this down the road...but that's after my EJ25 blows up, which won't be for some time. Also keep in mind, this is smog legal, which us residents of the People's Republic of California, have to worry about.

Check out i-speedusa.com

:)

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
there are some rs's that already have a wrx engine in them....i found a silver coupe with a wrx motor for 16 grand with 12 k milege....just look carefully maybe u might find one also..

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Lue V said:
there are some rs's that already have a wrx engine in them....i found a silver coupe with a wrx motor for 16 grand with 12 k milege....just look carefully maybe u might find one also..
Off topic: Lue, was the car being sold in MN? Was it a beat up rally car like those @ the Bloomington Subaru Rally meet?

·
Ntseg Muag!
518 Posts
kickin_81 said:

Off topic: Lue, was the car being sold in MN? Was it a beat up rally car like those @ the Bloomington Subaru Rally meet?
it's in MN....it's a 00 model and still good...no damage no nothing...i think it's located in morries subaru i think...but i'm not sure....i saw it in a auto trader once....it's probably still there.....i'll look it up again and see if it's there....

·
Registered
07 wrx
180 Posts
or you can do this i have found a real STI motor trans everything needed for like 6 grand plus shipping! and that would be just bad ass!!!!

·
Ntseg Muag!
518 Posts
nolimitski said:
or you can do this i have found a real STI motor trans everything needed for like 6 grand plus shipping! and that would be just bad ass!!!!
where is it at?......what year is it also....?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Besides the engine, what else is needed to make this conversion?

Do you need a different tranny too?

This seems like a very good option for me since I'm stuck between buying a GC8(because I love the look) and buying a WRX(because I love the performance).

Also, does anyone know where or who I can get the full details on this whole process?

·
Registered
35 Posts
With all seriousness, I don't intend to sound rude, but why would someone want the WRX motor in the RS?

-It is, afterall, a 2.0 w/ a turbo. Whereas the RS is a 2.5.

-You can easily buy and install a turbo that is built for the 2.5RS for far less money than the buy/install of the WRX motor.

-Isn't it quite a hassel in general to do so? Do they fit without major modification to the RS engine bay?

I CAN see some good points though:

+new engine DOHC/low miles/updated with today's technology

+227hp (though adding the turbo to the RS can produce more)

+bragging rights (hehe)

·
Registered
20 Posts
nox, at first I thought the same way, which is logical. A 2.5 engine with a turbo engine must be better than a 2.0 with on it. Not so. The 2.5 engine isn't made for forced induction, it can't handle the psi levels that a WRX engine can. Basicly, if you ran the turboed 2.5 engine at the levels you can run a WRX engine at... it would blow. Modding it to be able to handle the psi of a WRX engine would cost you plenty more than installing a WRX engine. Plus, after you put the wrx engine in, you can mod it a LOT further than you ever could a RS engine. I'm no expert with this stuff though, maybe someone else can elaborate the explination.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
but,....if you spent the money to build the RS engine right,..meaning forging the internals, the RS would have capability of producing more power. and not to mention you probably would have spent less than a conversion to newer engine. also, the wrx engine can only go so far before it too needs more mods to keep it intact. so why not just spend the money to build the RS engine to handle you dreams of power.
just my .02 cents.

brian

·
Registered
10 Posts
well the WRX engine does handle more boost under stock internals than the EJ25 as you see most 2.5RS-T dont run much more than 8psi while the WRX engine runs like 14lbs of boost in stock trim...

Now which is better..... well thats up to you IMO for $8k I would just get a costum turbo for far less and go FASTER...

Down here in Puerto Rico most 2.5RS-t are running low 13's or high 12's with costum turbos and stock internals... in fact one of our fastest Imprezas was a 2.5Rs-T that ran a 12.5 1/4 mile...:checkit: :drool:

Not to mention the 2.5 engine has lots more torque than the wrx engine before boost;)

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
did you ever get this thing off the ground? WRX swaps are pretty cheap these days.

·
Registered
Y2K GM6 & 65 'Stang Fastback
816 Posts
11 years later you ask? lol. He has definitely had some time to get something going

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
'98 RSTi, '10 LGT, '17 FXT
3,613 Posts
Man, I was reading the OP as if this thread was made recently and was thinking "duh a lot of people have some form of swap"... then I knew that it was GotJ that bumped this thread...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts