Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone on the RS25 board was running those TWE headers.

Equal Length Headers

Although on the site they mention they are "steel" and I think somebody called them and asked, on the I-Club they had mentioned ceramic coating but the way it was written it didn't make sense. For the $600+ price tag of these headers are they ceramic coated? If so I will be selling my Borla's soon.

[Edit] Ok I guess I should learn to open my eyes and read. The site says they are Stainless steel. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think they're ceramic coated either, Paul Botting the owner I think is working on getting them nickel plated. I got an email concerning working with stainless steel.

The reason stainless steel is not used is because of thermal expansion, with primary pipe as long as we are using it would require several slip joints perleg. This would drastically increase the production cost as well. The only real downside to using mild steel is corrosion, when plated with nickel that will become a non-issue.

These headers are manufactured in house so apparently if there were problems with corrosion then you shouldn't have a problem with getting them warrantied.

Ken

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So stainless steel will expand and contract more than mild steel? I do believe the Borla's are stainless. I have the Gen3's with the small plate between the two pipes. Mine finally gave out and I had to have them rewelded. The plate split the pipe at the four corners of the plate. I had the guy run a weld along both sides of the small plate. Hopefully this will hold.

Brat: I've got to check my finances but when I do sell I will let you know first. I really do miss the sound of these things. I finally put them back on today. I just wish they were a thicker guage metal. It would dampen the sound a little more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure how durable the coating is but I believe they have a lifetime warranty against corrosion and workmanship. So if there was a problem with them then they will fix it. I'm looking into these also and waiting on more info such as dyno numbers.

Ken

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey, you should have that plate cut off. The Gen 4 header doesn't have that plate. The problem is that the pipes themselves heat up, and that brace doesn't....well, not as quick, and the temp and expantion differences cause cracks along those welds.

spshultz said:
So stainless steel will expand and contract more than mild steel? I do believe the Borla's are stainless. I have the Gen3's with the small plate between the two pipes. Mine finally gave out and I had to have them rewelded. The plate split the pipe at the four corners of the plate. I had the guy run a weld along both sides of the small plate. Hopefully this will hold.

Brat: I've got to check my finances but when I do sell I will let you know first. I really do miss the sound of these things. I finally put them back on today. I just wish they were a thicker guage metal. It would dampen the sound a little more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.