Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 2.5 RS
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...so I'm 18 and I have had 5 cars so far and all of them have had problems (granted 2 of them were camaros so it's to be expected) But i seems like every car I ever buy starts overheating...I bought my RS a couple months ago everything was good untill about a week or two ago when it started showing signs of overheating...Well my friend owns a shop and specializes in Subarus so I take it down there and we run a block test. Everything seemed alright with that so we figured it was either the thermostat or the water pump. Well yesterday we replaced the thermostat and today i had my car running and got back in it and the CEL was on, it was really hot and the ice cold AC was blowing warm. I'm getting so frustrated at this point because I can't save ANY money with all the shit I keep having to replace on my cars. So now I guess it's either the head gasket or water pump? since the previous owner just had a radiator installed right before i bought it...Sorry to go off on a huge rant here but does anyone have any advice or maybe ideas?

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
Your AC blowing warm is an indication of an overheating engine. The ECU will cut out the AC to help protected the engine from working too hard. However, as for why it's doing it, I can't help you there I'm afraid. Could be as serious as the HG, but your guess of it being the waterpump is a good one. Hopefully the new radiator that was put in isn't under sized or something.

·
Registered
99 M3
4,797 Posts
How many miles are on it? Any leaks? 98's can be notorious for head gasket leaks. How's it run if you remove the thermostat? If nothing changes then that could be fucked. Radiator hoses in good condition? How much coolant you got in there? Engine temp sensor could be another little thing causing problems.

What code does the CEL read mate?

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
head gasket issue. its a 98. thats what they do... sorry to inform
^^^^^^ diddo. If you don't have the money to fix it right now just keep a close eye on it. I currently do not have money to fix mine and my HG is leaking oil right now. Every time before I drive I check my oil, check for that "frothy foamy" type substance in my oil cap, check my coolant and check for white or blue smoke coming out of your exhaust. But I'm still a noob:crazy:, some of these other guys will prob be able to help you more.

·
Registered
98 2.5 RS
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah thanks for the advice guys. I have 126k on the clock so with my luck it is the HG (d'oh) but i haven't noticed any leaks and i haven't really smelled any burning coolant or had any exhaust smoke...I was throwing a knock sensor for the CEL a couple days ago when i was at my friend's shop but i'm not sure if it's the same now or if it's related to the overheating. It's odd...it used to overheat then immediately cool down leading me to believe it was a pocket of hot air or something so we bled it but now it gets hot then takes a couple mins to cool down and doesn't come back for a day or two.

·
Registered
99 M3
4,797 Posts
Odd, if it was leaking then you'ld be able to notice it I would have thought.

The fact that it's a relatively long winded process for it to occur makes it sound like there's something amiss as part of the system rather than something major like the headgasket. Dodgy engine temp sensor? How quickly does the radiator fan turn on?

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
90% of the time the subaru gaskets leak from combustion camber to coolant. This creates small bubbles in the coolant and gets worse over time. Check for bubbles in the overflow. Most of the time you will not see external leaks of any kind.

98RS = HG replacement. Sorry to tell you.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
98's are great engines. Replace the headgaskets (use newer mls style), timing belt components and water pump and get it back on the road. :)

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS
36 Posts
I'm not a subaru expert by any means BUT when the radiator was replaced was the system bled properly. I had many overheating issues whenever I would run the a/c on my other vehicle and I finally fixed it when I got all the air bubbles out of the system.

My next question would be one someone else mentioned, are the fans coming on? Maybe when the raditor was replaced they forgot to hook them back up.

·
Registered
98 2.5 RS
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't really know what to do at this point. It's rather depressing. I bought this car hoping I was done with having problems. I didn't want a fast car to mod the hell out of I just wanted a good subaru for a daily driver but I have no luck. I'm 18 and I just got hired for a new job and now I can't even get to it...so it looks like I have to find a ride to work untill I can make around $1300 to replace the POS HG.

·
Registered
99 SF, 93 L,
342 Posts
When I was younger, I went through a crap load of cars too. But I was broke, so I learned how to DIY. A hell lot of anger and frustration, but it pays off. Plus you save so much money. In any case, don't sweat it; we live and learn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts