Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering putting a turbo on my '95 L with the 1.8 engine. It has about 94K on it. The kit I am considering has a T-25 turbo, a fender mount intercooler, HKS blow-off valve, guages, oil cooler, oil lines, Field SFC, and a few other parts, along with all of the piping except for the up-pipe. The wastegate on the turbo is set for 5 psi. I am seeking advice on how safe this would be for my engine, since I really can't afford to blow it up! The car has to last me for at least the next 5 years or so, but I'm so completely miserable with the performance of the engine! Would I need to upgrade the fuel pump or get an RRFPR? I was thinking about using an RS fuel pump, but I doubt an RRFPR would be necessary for 5 psi. I would appreciate any comments or advice; good, bad, or otherwise. Thanks! Also, does anybody know about approximate labor time and/or cost for installation? Last, has anybody installed their own turbo? If so, how did it go and were there any problems?

:)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well, if you have the parts, just do it!

Check out uniquemotorsports.com. This is Subachad's site and has tons of info on the 1.8L turbo setup. Your car should run brilliantly on 5 psi, due to the fact that the 1.8L engine is 9.0:1 compressiom, which is quite suitable for boost. Chad has run his car with boost for quite a long time now, so it proves is can be done. The RS fuel pump is a great idea, a good way to keep the cost down. The RRFPR is also probably a necessity, although the AFC should be able to add enough fuel for just 5 psi. I say go for it, and if you have any problems just jump on the board and find the solution.

Graham

·
Registered
43 Posts
But just remember, that a motor that is not made for boost is not goin to last as long, therefore a motor that is will last longer. plus it depends on how you drive. But I do 100% agree with gram, go for it.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have emailed and pm'd subachad a few times discussing it. He seems like a great guy, and very knowledgable, too! The only thing about the info on his site that bothers me is that his engine blew after 30K. I realize that it was due to the wastegate spiking the boost, and his engine had ~150K, and I will try to avoid that, but it still worries me. I'm not out to run a 9 second 1/4 mile or anything, I just want a some more power, and the bolt-ons I have tried do little or nothing but drain my wallet! However, like I said, I really need the car to last me until I'm done with school. I am guessing the car will have between 160K-180K by that point.

After talking to a few people and doing some research, it seems I will be fine without a RRFPR at 5 psi. If I do the turbo, though, I may add it eventually. I went to the shop that I would probably have do the installation today; they said it would be roughly $500 for installation, and extra for tuning unless it only needs a little bit. However, I need an uppipe, and they said that would be roughly $400-600 with mandrel bends, and $300-500 for one with crush bends! That seems rather excessive to me, but I just asked them if it would be same price for the install if I can get an uppipe and they said yes. I don't have the parts yet, but my friend has the kit and he is willing to sell it to me at a price I find hard to refuse! I really want to do it, but I need the car to last me!

Thanks for the advice so far!
:D

·
Registered
R35/BO, XE30/AS, V37/MW
111 Posts
Who's that friend? :p

Anyway, at 5psi the RRFPR is not needed for MAF based Impreza. An upgrade fuel pump is sufficient enough. Ironically, the MAP needs that but not the AFC, us MAF Impreza it's a vice versa!

Tom of Ludespeed told me he had 20+ people used his turbo kit, and so far 1 had tranny problem as that person did clutch dump. 2 had motor problem b/c they tried to save labor and did the installation themselves.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:p back at you!:D
What kind of motor problems? Minor or major?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Motor problems due to installation?

I find that interesting. The car really isn't going to run if the kit isn't hooked up properly, I'm confused.

I say screw having a shop put it in, no one knows jack about Subaru's man. Some of the stories i've heard of turbo kits on RS's from shops sound nasty. Take the time, do the research, and put the kit on yourself. Your friend might be able to help you and this board is an awesome tool. I installed my own turbo kit and saved a bundle, plus you learn SOOOO much more about your car. Last October I couldn't even had told you how a turbo worked, then in March I installed a Legacy setup on my RS, and its running SWEET, no problems and if I take care of the car I never will have problems.

Graham

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I agree with Graham. Do the research and install it yourself. There's plenty of help available on the boards and through locals.

Do you have a flange for the turbo inlet? If so, you can make an up pipe for less than $50. Look at the ones Chad has forsale. That's a mandrel bent 90* pipe with the appropriate flanges welded to the ends. You can have the flanges made at a local machine shop or welding shop easily, and more than likely, you could even pull your car in and have them fab up the whole pipe saving you time and effort measuring.

You could also check the junkyards for a Legacy Turbo and grab an up pipe from there. It doesn't HAVE to cost an arm&leg to make this stuff.

I have most of an up pipe already made, though it's for a Garrett. It cost me NOTHING. 'course, I had my GF's dad machine the flange and weld the pipe. All I need to do is measure the height needed and offset to the front and weld on the flange to fit the header.

Keep scrounging for options. Don't give in to the super high dollar ceramic coated SS mandrel bent pipes that cost more than your motor!

Speaking of your motor....remember, nobody wants a 1.8! If you blow yours by mistake, a replacement will be super cheep! Keep the mix rich and you'll be just fine!

·
Registered
R35/BO, XE30/AS, V37/MW
111 Posts
I_H8_1.8 said:
:p back at you!:D
What kind of motor problems? Minor or major?
I'd say Major - Detonation. ;)

Installation and tuning are interrelated. The car won't run with only install and no tuning and vice versa. Installation problem, for example, like bending the wastegate gasket, and resulting a leak which causes problem when started. Yes it did happen, and I do not want to say who.

Darrell, try dig up as much info as possible and we will talk through the most cost effective ways to get you hook up :)

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
remember, nobody wants a 1.8!
:lol: So true!

I kind of would like to install the kit myself, but there are a few issues. First, I know jack squat about the oil lines-both installing the fittings in the pan and hooking them to the turbo! The other thing is the up-pipe; I don't know exactly how to figure out the dimensions, but I guess it would be a little easier with the down pipe mounted. And no, I don't have a flange, either-I don't even have the kit yet! There is another shop in town that could make it, but it would still be about $2-300 at least! Last, I don't know how to tune it.
Hey Jay, I thought you were going with a 2.5 instead of a turbo! Make up your mind already!:D Just kidding!

Thanks to everybody for your advice and opinions; keep 'em coming!

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
I'm also starting a turbo kit for my RS, much to my suprise. I put a low bid on a WRX stock turbo (TD04H) on eBay, and it must have slipped through the cracks, as I got it for just under $200 shipped. I've been looking aroung for up/down pipes, too, didn't realize they where so expensive! I have a Vortech 6:1 FMU (rrfpr) on the way, too; do I need a bigger fuel pump to go with that, or will the stock RS pump work? I'm only looking at running about 5 psi, also, just like 1.8. Trying to find a cheap IC on eBay, too, but have no idea what's good and whats bad. I'll be watching this thread, and seeing if I can lear anything. I also have a thread of my own going here and at the I-Club, and that one has lots of info in it ( search for HondaH8er in the Aftermarket FI forum if you're interested).

·
Registered
852 Posts
First, I know jack squat about the oil lines-both installing the fittings in the pan and hooking them to the turbo! The other thing is the up-pipe; I don't know exactly how to figure out the dimensions, but I guess it would be a little easier with the down pipe mounted. And no, I don't have a flange, either-I don't even have the kit yet! There is another shop in town that could make it, but it would still be about $2-300 at least! Last, I don't know how to tune it.
Geese, just three months ago I was in your EXACT shoes. Speaking to my brother, "Are you sure that the right spot for the oil to the turbo?"

I was so worried when I fired up my car for the first time, had trouble turning the key over I was so nervous. Let me tell you something, all this turbo install stuff is overrated. For your oil line locations, you need to find on the top of your block where your oil pressure sensor mount is. This is where you get the oil for the turbo from. On the 2.5, its just a plugged hole on the top of the block. You get a fitting, buy and oil feed line from iSR (www.autocaresubaru.com) and run it from the block to the oil IN line on the turbo. Then, buy a banjo bolt return line from iSR, and run the line from oil OUT line on the turbo to the drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan. It's cake. If you know ANYONE with turbo knowledge, ask them to give you a hand. These lines are just simple braided steel hoses. Some will tell you that the banjo bolt return line doesn't work, but i've been running it on my car for three months now with 0 problems. No clogged return line or anything, no burnt oil, no leaking problems.

Your down pipe, if you have one, probably won't support the weight of the turbo, so don't do that. Chad's uppipe is the way to go, don't mess around. You could look for the Legacy uppipe, which is what I am using, but then you have to change the crossmember to a Legacy turbo unit and thats a big pain in the arse and something I had to have serious help with.

The whole project for me was a big mystery, I knew nothing at all. Sometimes I would just stare at my turbo. Sometimes I even blew air through it to try and get a spooling sound! (Yah, I'm a freak). You WILL figure it out. My car was down for three weeks, and everyday I sat there and figured one thing after the other, with the help of my brother. One day I was just staring at the car and decided i'd put the fuel pump im, something I had NO idea how to do. Three hours later I had an uprated Walbro fuel pump, enough for a turbo car. Trust me, you WILL figure it out after a while, with patience comes a reward, in this case a turbocharged car.

Graham

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Once again, Graham has the right idea! Relegate yourself to the fact that it's gonna take you a couple days to get everything figured out and installed. Once you start going at it, things are gonna get easier. Just take your time in picking the parts.

Learn by others mistakes, don't get greedy with the boost and all will be well.

Yeah, I have a 2.5 project going. Before I decided to go this route, I was going to turbo my 1.8. I still might....it'd probably get done sooner than the 2.5 would....and it's already in the car!:biggest:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts