Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I've been working for a long time out of my field now. I don't make much but I get by plus a little. However I've recently been forced to look into my financial situation. The end conclusion is, I won't live in a cardboard box, and I won't starve. But replacing my current car with a nice used RS isn't going to happen this year or next unless some miracle happens and the economy here turns around and I land a good IT job again. So I would love to be in the situation of riding it out until I can buy the RS but the thing is I hate how things are at the moment.

I've recently noticed that my car, an 85 buick skylark in the super sexy gold/tan color is going to need about $2,000 worth of work this year, add that to the $2,000 in the past 3 years. It needs struts, and windshield, and a new carb, and I'm starting to worry about it's tranny. Anyways the car isn't worth $2000. Even with brand new brakes, exhaust and tires which cost $1500 on their own it's not worth $2000. So that plus the fact that it's about as sexy as a pinto, I'm wanting to replace it.

I can't get an RS because they're in the $19,000 range, I can't get a cheap L coupe cause they're in the $9000. But I can afford about $4000. So I've been looking for something sporty in the $3000 range so I can fix some of the problems it will have when I get it. Then I won't mind as much putting my time and money into fixing a car, as this way I at least want it.

The car that has most interested me in this $price range is the toyota supra mark II. They where released from 82-86 so it feels strange trading my car for an older one but I think I am getting more car here. Anyone have any experience with them? I'd be out testdriving right now but a fresh dump of snow, and me in a new car with way more power and rear wheel drive leads to some bad possibilities.

ANy other cars you guys would recommend looking into? first gen RX7 is also there but I'm not a big fan of the look. I'm also not a big fan of most domestics, greatly limiting my choices.

Perhaps I won the lottery last night in which case you can see pictures of my new 911 in a bit, but if not any advice/thoughts would be most appreciated. (Oh yeah all prices above are canadian dollars)

<edit: Paragraphs are good>

·
Registered
250 Posts
I suggest something that runs. Save your money and get an RS or some other sports car later. Do not get an RX-7 unless you know how to work on them cause the cost of working on rotary engines is high. Get a Chevy a Cavalier, you can run them into the ground and they get great gas mileage. Then when you get settled buy a sporty car for show and busty blondes. The other as a everyday to work driver. :biggest:

·
Registered
133 Posts
LOL, I love your comment at the end about paragraphs :D

Good luck in finding something, your scooby time will come........Over the 18 months I have owned my WRX I have spent over half a year's wages modifying and running it - I earn around £24-25K With other things to pay for it is just too much!!!!!!
She is going to have to go soon, but I certainly won't be scoobless for long.

Michelle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy and gal. My buick runs currently. For a 17 year old car it actually runs quite well. I know I couldn't get better for what it's worth. I'm just so bored with it. And trust me nothing can make a 4000 lb 110 hp front wheel drive tan boat fun. Well except for snow, but that can make a four dollar flat piece of plastic fun. The load of snow we just got has dampened my spirits on the supra thing. Driving the work truck around town today showed just how bad rear wheel drive a bit of power and packed snow/ice can be at times. Maybe I'll buy a junker motorcycle and fix it. Really I think I'm looking for ways to pass the time here. Ditching my car would probably be a mistake but it would at least make life interesting for awhile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts