Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Thinking about getting a 2.5RS

995 views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  George.of.the.Jungle 
#1 ·
I drive an Acura Legend right now and they are notorious for blowing head gaskets, mine is blown right now and im looking at about $1500 to replace it, however im thinking about just doing any engine swap (for about $2500 TOTAL) and get it over with. If I could sell my Legend and buy a RS instead I will.

Any suggestions on what to look for when purchasing a Subaru? KBB on a 1998 base RS is about $8000, should I expect to pay about that? Are their any common problems with Subarus in general (like the head gasket on the Legend)?

Thanks!

-Brandon

#2 ·
Well...some of the early RSs did have head gasket problems or engine problems, but most of those should've been taken care of by now. I'd love to pick up a second RS, especially one with the kick ass gold wheels. :D

Or you could buy a '99. Those are pretty good. I have a friend who just bought a nice stock rally blue RS for $10500. Its a manual transmission and has about 55k miles, but its great.

#5 ·
I've got a 1999 RS and have had no problems other then the POS stock paint job that SOA and I are still fighting over. Eventually I will win the war of attrition because unlike them I have free legal representation because of in-laws who are lawyers.

#8 ·
i've got the 98 in Rally Blue with the gold rims. LOVE IT. not one single problem with it,..... other than what i've done to it.:rolleyes: paid a bit more than i would have liked to, but i don't care, i got the subaru i wanted. good luck with the search.

#10 ·
I've got a 2000 2.5 RS with 24K on it. Paid $8600 with shipping from New Jersey to North Carolina for it....

I've had zero problems with it so far (only driven 2K)... But the older Subarus did have head gasket problems, but anything mid-90s and up you should be safe. Maybe earlier than that. I've also got a 1994 Legacy, never had anything blow on it... so maybe its more early 90s is the cut off...

By the way, there should be no thinking involved when going from a Legend to an RS:cool:

Scott
www.SMPolishing.com

#15 ·
I have a 98, DOHC and I'm at 223k all original seals, belts, water, and oil pump and no issues at all, and that's in New England. I'm rebuilding it now just because the car is getting re-done and will be in the shop for a month otherwise I'm sure it would have gone another 100k+ without issue. Just did a compression and leak down before we tore it apart and it's all still within normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.